Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Exploring La Paz

31 January 2011 | La Paz, B.C.S.
We checked on the progress of our auto pilot today...seems that it did not make it on the truck that left San Diego on Friday (we kind of had a feeling that it didn't since Custom Marine Electronics in San Diego was late in sending it over to the customs broker in San Diego last week.) What this means is that it we hope that it will make it on the next truck that may be coming down later this week. At least that's what Hamish at Lopez Marine is telling us. We chose to use his custom's broker and company to help us get the auto pilot through customs smoothly...it is just a very sloooow process. In the meantime, we continue to explore La Paz. Today we set out on a very long hike to the La Paz Plaza. This is about the only thing that closely resembles a mall in La Paz...movie theaters, Sears, Soriano grocery store, video arcade, and a number of smaller stores and businesses. This was our longest walk from the waterfront that we have done...all in all about 27 blocks (how long is a block?) Anyway, it was fun to pass through some neighborhoods and some other busy city scenery along the way. On another note, I forgot to mention on a walk into Centro (downtown) the other day, while we were on the sidewalk, a truck pulled along side the street next to us. The back of this truck was a large cage in which contained seven full sized tigers. Yes, tigers. In the cage about 6 feet from us. They were cute but no doubt could kill you in a second if they had the chance. They are part of the circus coming in to town. This is the last week of campaigning for 1 governor position, 5 mayor positions, and 16 council positions for various cities in Baja California Sur, including La Paz. The election is on February 6. Check your calendar, it's this Sunday. Yes, in Mexico voting day is on Sunday. We are anchored relatively close to shore, near a night club/disco that is on the beach. They have a live band on Friday nights. Saying that they are relatively quiet would be a vast understatement...these guys turn up the volume, LOUD and they don't quit until 4 am. We've talked to other boats anchored farther out and according to them it's no different, it's still loud. A big event in a young Mexican girls life is their 15th birthday. It's a very big deal...fancy gowns to wear, parties to give and attend, presents to open. Might be a little like sweet 16 in the US, only bigger. Also, we have seen and been into many Dulceria's. These are party shops. They have everything that you could think of for hosting a party. Including piñatas. Lots of brightly colored and decorated piñatas of all kinds of shapes and sizes. The shops also carry all the candy and small prizes that go into the piñatas. That's it for now...
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA