Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Blowin' In The Wind

03 February 2011 | La Paz, B.C.S.
When a high pressure system forms in the southwest US, it creates a pressure gradient differential in the Sea of Cortez. The result is wind...usually lots of it depending on the size of the gradient. And the wind blows from the north, strongly, and hence it is called a "norther". The wind builds up large seas as well, usually short period wind waves that can build to 10 feet or more. It's not so much the wind that can hurt, but the steepness of the seas that it creates. Here in La Paz, the anchorage is mostly open to the north and in calm conditions is a delightful anchorage. But when a norther is blowing, wind waves can build up in the harbor and add to that an ebbing tide against the wind will kick it up even more. The Port Captain will close the port to traffic in these conditions and he has. We took advantage of a slip being available at Marina de La Paz and moved into the marina yesterday. It has been 2 months since we were last "at the dock" and it was time to clean up the boat, do some routine maintenance and generally enjoy the dock scene for a few days without having to use the dinghy to go back and forth to shore. We are in the second day of the "norther" with the wind howling through the rigging at up to 30 knots. The boats at anchor in the harbor are being tossed around in rough conditions. We are not entirely motionless though. The slip that we are in lies abeam to the wind so we are being healed over slightly due to the strength of the wind. And with the current and surge, the boat is moving around quite a bit but it's comfortable compared to what we would be experiencing if we were still anchored in the harbor. We've taken advantage of our dock time and the available fresh water to thoroughly wash the boat. We hired Enrique to dive under the boat and clean the bottom. We also hired Jacob and Rolofo to wax the hull for us and polish up the stainless steel railings and fittings. These guys all work very hard, they did a great job and it's nice to support the local economy. Besides, we couldn't beat the price...the labor for all three of these guys came to less than $200! The boat is nice and clean and shiny! Tomorrow we'll add a coat of Semco (teak sealer) to all the exterior teak. We'll also add a coat of wax to all the stainless steel since it tends to give added protection and keep it looking nice longer. And, I almost forgot...we got a call this morning telling us that our auto pilot is on the truck on it's way and it may be in tomorrow! We'll keep our fingers crossed on that one and have to wait and see but that's the best news we've had in a while.
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA