Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Hangin' out in Barra

18 February 2011 | Bahia de Navidad
After spending one night anchored at Cuastacomantes, we made our way the 4 miles to the entrance to the channel to the Barra Lagoon. We followed Blue Rodeo up the channel, in water depths of 12 - 16 feet and eventually dropped anchor in the lagoon in 10 feet of water. The lagoon is very large and completely landlocked but only a small portion of it is available for anchoring because the majority of is shoal. There are about 50 boats currently anchored here. The holding is not the best, thin mud, making the use of additional anchor scope a must to prevent dragging. The norm, here, is that most boats are lying to 80-100 feet of chain. A water taxi serves the area and for 25 pesos each we hopped a ride to the main dock in town (Barra de Navidad). Barra is a quaint little Mexican town with paved (pavers, not asphalt) and cobbled streets, very, very narrow, most only one lane wide, and a population of about 7000. Walking with Anne and Mark from Blue Rodeo, they showed us a store that has good produce, a carniceria (butcher), a lavanadaria, the ATM cash machine where we obtained a few pesos, and the Sands Hotel that is "cruiser friendly" allowing cruisers to tie up their dinghy to the sea wall and use the internet while having a cold beer at the bar. We had a nice lunch and caught with Mark and Anne who we had not seen since leaving San Jose Del Cabo the first week in December.

Our second day here, was a long walk along the golf course serving the high end hotel Grand Bay. The scenery was mostly coconut palm tree lined fairways and lots of tropical plants and flowers. Our destination was a palapa restaurant on the beach for lunch. There were six of us that day, ourselves and Mark and Anne from Blue Rodeo as well as Bob and Linda on Bright Angel. Bob and Linda are from Olympia, WA and are starting an "open-ended" cruise meaning they are making plans as they go along.

Yesterday was a chore day on the boat and ashore. We began by attempting a repair of the bent furler to the drifter. It got bent we were flying the drifter and the tack strap broke sending the furler crashing into the bow pulpit. We also re-rolled the drifter. And we transferred fuel from the jerry jugs on deck to the fuel tank. Then we collected the garbage and the laundry, hailed a water taxi and went ashore to deposit the trash and drop off the laundry at the lavanadaria, pick up some produce and some chicken breasts for dinner and finished the afternoon with cold beers and internet at the Sands Hotel. Such is the cruising life in Mexico!
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA