Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Skookumchuck Rapids

07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
We were delayed leaving Pender Harbor by an extra day due to high winds in the Straight of Georgia. Having an unexpected extra day, we decided to take a little hike up Mt. Daniel which is located in the Garden Bay Provincial Park. This turned out to be a very long day and a tough hike...we had a 4 mile hike along the road along a very beautiful lake just to get to the trail head. The trail was very steep...1 1/2 miles almost straight up it seemed at times along a very rocky path to an elevation of 650 meters, just over 2100 feet. This was one of the toughest hikes we have done. The view at the top was magnificent though with great views to the south, east and west and overlooking the anchorage and Pender Harbor below. After an hour at the top, we began the long walk back...another 1 1/2 miles down the steep trail and the 4 miles back to where we left the dinghy when we came ashore. We were pretty worn out by the time we got back to the boat.

This morning we pulled up the anchor and motored 14 miles up Agamemnon Channel to the small town of Egmont at Secret Bay. Unfortunately, no wind to sail! Since the bay is too deep to anchor with lots of current, we went along side the public dock. The reason that we stopped here in to see Skookumchuck Rapids in the Sechelt Inlet. The Rapids are one of the strongest tidal rapids in the world. Every day, twice a day, millions of gallons of sea water flow to and from the Sechelt Inlet through the Skoookumchuck Narrows creating currents up to 16 knots and whirlpools and roilling water that has to be seen to be believed. White water kayakers love this spot. We ran into Paul and Janet from Talos IV again and shared the 2 1/2 mile trail to the viewing spot. Needless to say that boaters have to wait until slack tide in order to transit the area. We arenot going this way but took the opportunity to see it from land.

Canadians love their hocky and since the Vancouver Canucks are in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Boston Bruins, everywhere we have been has been abuzz with hockey fans. The first two games were in Vancouver with the Canucks winning both games but then getting beat in game 3 in Boston. Tonight is game 4 and the small community center here is set up with a big screen and we might just stop by to see what all the excitement is about.
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA