STILL HANGING OUT IN BOOT KEY HARBOR
24 February 2011 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
Cheryl - Sunny and warm
It's been a while since my last blog update. We have been here in Boot Key Harbor for a little over a month now, starting to fall into a kind of routine each day.....start the day starting the Honda Generator at around 8:00, listen to the Boot Key Harbor Net 9:00 until around 10:00, around 11:00 turn off the generator, dinghy into shore, run some errands (either Bill by himself or both of us). Some days we have an early dinner then go on our sunset dinghy cruise around 5:00, other days have dinner after the cruise. Then in bed by around 8:30.
Our friend Craig Horn visited for a couple of days last week. Craig spend 2 weeks with us earlier in our adventure, on Lake Erie and the Erie Canal. Good to see him again.
We purchased rebuilt engine fuel injectors and had them installed by Marathon Diesel. The other diesel company here in town told us they would only work on the engine if it was at a marina and estimated it would take about 4-5 hours. Marathon Diesel came out to the boat, removed the old injectors and installed the new injectors for a total of 1 ½ hours. Huge price difference between the 2 companies. Going with Marathon Diesel saved us at least $400. Based on our experience we would use Marathon Diesel again.
Dean on 'Autumn Bourne' has given me a couple of lessons on Celestial Navigation and how to operate my sextant. Thank you Dean for volunteering - very much appreciated. I definitely need lots of practice though. Bill bought me the sextant about 10 years ago but this is the first time I have found anyone willing to teach me the basic. Ever since we became interested in sailing I have wanted to learn about Celestial Navigation, I guess in a way to honor my father. He was a quartermaster in the Navy, which means he was the navigator aboard the vessel (in his case Destroyers), long before GPS, so they still used sextants back then.
We went to Sombrero Beach by dinghy yesterday. Water is getting warmer, hopefully only another couple of weeks before the water is warm enough to go diving or snorkeling.
During our sunset dinghy cruise a couple of days ago a dolphin surfaced right next to the dinghy, close enough for me to touch him/her. Lots of dolphins in the harbor here which is great.
We still haven't decided exactly what our plans are yet. Our current ideas are to leave here the first or second week of April and head back to Key West. While there sail down to the Dry Tortugas for a few days. From Key West, around middle of June, head up to the west coast of Florida and find some inexpensive marinas to stay at during the hottest months so we can hook up an air conditioner to shore power and be tied up in case we (as in Bill and I, not the boat) need to evacuate due to a Hurricane. In November, towards the end of hurricane season, head to the Bahamas and possibly south from there. All of this is subject to change of course.