Bookmark and Share
08/25/2010, DeTour Village Harbor

We are currently in DeTour Village Harbor, waiting for the next weather window. It looks like we may be here until Thursday or Friday. We had a great trip coming from Sault Ste. Marie. We were a little nervous when the first tanker passed but after the 5th one it was almost routine, well not quite. Lots of good pics.

DeTour Village is a very nice little town, with 3 pubs/restaurants, a grocery store and a couple of little gift shops all within easy walking distance to the marina. Marina staff is very helpful (unlike George Kemp Marina) and marina is well maintained.

08/25/2010 | Howard & Jill - s/v Liberty
Good luck. We met you a couple of years ago in Silver Bay. We have an Endeavour 35 out of Washburn. We made the trip 14 years ago and hope to do it again someday. We'll be watching your progress with envy.
08/26/2010 | George and Kathy
Hi - We just started following your blog. We made a similar trip last year and at about the same time. We left from the south end of Lake Michigan but we didn't get to Lake Huron until jsut about this time last year. My advice is to go when you can because the weather gets cold way too fast. lol We'll have fun watching your progress. Right now our boat is in Florida and until the first of October we're still in Michigan.
08/23/2010, Sault Ste. Marie, MI

We are at the George Kemp Municipal Marina in Sault Ste. Marie. We went through the MacArthur lock at around 2:00 today. Must have been a slow day today, did not pass a single tanker from White Fish Point to the locks. We locked-thru behind a Soo Lock Tour boat. Did get banged around a little initially, the lock line handlers were slow to throw us a stern line and the bow banged into the lock wall. Luckily, no real damage just a couple of scrapes on the bow pulpit. Oh well, we gave the people on the tour boat a chance for some good pics. Walked into town and had dinner at a Mexican/American Bar/Restaurant, feeling a little ill at the moment!

08/23/2010 | Tom Habanek
U really don't need handling lines in most docks for going DOWN. Going up U do. However, in both cases, keep the lines LOOSE. Let the water do the work. AND NO FENDERS..they catch in the holes in the walls in the Erie Canal.
08/23/2010 | sharron
Hi been watching your progress, glad everything is going well. how long before you reach Australia Ha Ha. Stay safe love Sharron
Added Picture Gallery
08/21/2010, Grand Marais, MI

Bill just added a picture gallery - located on the right hand side of the page.

08/21/2010 | Randy & Dawn Ortiz
Good luck from Dawn and Randy! We are ahead and will watch for you. You may pass us at our current rate of progress!
08/21/2010 | jim Chain Reacion Too
Will be following you in another 12 days. Sailing out of Thunder Bay and going to Bahamas by way of Ten Tom
08/22/2010 | Cheryl and Bill Stewart
Do either of you have blogs?

10/03/2010 | Dean and Susan Perry
sorry we didn't get a chance to wish you 'fair winds', but it was great sharing the last few "exciting days" at Hop-O-Nose Marina, with you...
08/20/2010, Grand Marais, MI

Well, we had one good weather day. Made it to Grand Marais, MI yesterday and here we sit. We might make it out of here on Sunday. Rain off and on all day and high winds all day. The boat is getting pushed against the dock wall and we are not happy campers. My son has decided to jump ship - he called his Dad and asked him to drive here from Marquette tomorrow to get him, I would too if I was him! Looks like what was supposed to be 4 days from Marquette to Sault Ste. Marie is turning into a minimum of 10 days.

Grand Marais is a nice little resort town with a small grocery store and 2 bars. It does, however, have the world famous Pickle Barrel House museum. That was our excitement for the day. It actually was a cute little house apparently built for William Donahey who wrote 'Teenie Weenie' comic strip from 1914 to the 1970's. It looks just like two huge pickle barrels.

We did discover today while doing some research on the internet concerning the Soo Locks that the Canadian lock is closed and will not reopen until next year. According to both our cruising guidebooks the Canadian lock is the preferred lock for recreational boats since the American side is primarily for commercial traffic. Looks like we will be playing boat-tag with the big boys!

That's all the news from exciting Grand Marais.

08/21/2010 | Pam and Dan
Hey, kids, sorry you are still in the weather! BUT you are not at work.. I had 2 looooong days back, ha ha! Have to work today, Sat as well. Dan just finished canning 84 quarts and pints of pickles and jalapenos! We are still a little beat up from our journeys. Keep in touch and we'll do the same!
Pam and Dan

We are sitting in Murray Bay waiting for the wind to die down. Arrived Saturday August 14th and have been unable to leave due to the high winds and seas. High meaning, Lake Superior winds gusting up to 40 knots and waves to 17 feet!! Luckily we are not out there and are safely tucked in this little bay with great protection and good holding (so far, cross our fingers). We have both cell phone and wifi connections which makes it a little less boring while we sit and wait. It looks like we could be here another 2-3 days.

My son, Chris, is with us. He just purchased a new iphone so he is playing with that downloading a bunch of free applications. We ran our Honda generator for the first time yesterday to charge the battery bank. Works great and is not too noisy. Even if it was, we would be the only ones to hear it since we are alone in this anchorage. When we arrived on Saturday both Chris and Bill went for a swim. Water temp was 72 which is warm for Lake Superior.

We are anchored near a wreck - believe it is about a 120 foot schooner. Yesterday there was 3 glass bottom boat tours that showed up to see it along with a dive boat. Believe it will be too windy today for anyone to show up.

Looks like it will be a movie day, staying below out of the wind as much as possible.

08/19/2010 | steve & clara
Been thinkin about you two. Are you in Lake Michigan yet? Stay in touch. C-Bear pulls out of Madeline bound for Green Bay on 09/01.
08/13/2010, Marquette, MI

Day 3 and 4 - 8/9/10 and 8/10/10

Left Ontonagon for Houghton/Hancock at around 10:00 am. Very hot humid day. From the entrance to the Keweenaw waterway to the Houghton Lift bridge was about 10 miles.
About a ½ a mile away from the bridge I hailed the bridge on the radio and the lift operator said he would open the bridge when we were a little closer. We get closer but the bridge doesn't open, so we circled around and around waiting for the bridge to open. I hail the bridge again and ask if there is a problem - yep, there is, the ridge won't open due to technical problems. He tells us to keep circling and will try again. After about a ½ hour of this the operator told us he had someone coming to try and fix the problem. Could be an hour or so and suggested we tie up to the wall and wait. So we did that, with a little difficulty due to the all the power boats zooming up and down the river leaving sizeable wake behind them, causing us to be push against the wall. Anyway, we managed to tie up and then wait. An hour or so later one of the bridge operators walks down and talks to us, telling us that they can't fix the bridge and need to have someone come all the way from Lansing Michigan and try and fix the problem. We stayed overnight at the wall and they finally were able to open the bridge at about noon the next day. Passed under the bridge and stayed the night at the Houghton County Marina.

Day 5 - 8/11/10

Left Houghton for Big Bay, MI. Left at 10:15 am and arrived at the entrance to Big Bay at around 5:00 pm. Based on the charts and cruising guide books the entrance to Big Bay Harbor Dock is supposed to be 11 feet - not! Lots of silting and grounded in 2 feet straight down the middle of the entrance. After several attempts to back up to no avail Bill put one of the anchors with line in the dingy and rowed to the breakwall then dropped the anchor. Bill then rowed back to the boat and pulled the boat off the sand bar. Bill then gets back in the dingy to go retrieve the anchor and line. A few hairy moments getting the boat very close to the break wall and the potential of fouling the anchorline in the prop we were able to right ourselves with the help of a 12 year old boy standing on top of the breakwall. After that we decided we weren't going to try again and left to go to Marquette. Finally arrived at Marquette and the Presque Isle Marina at 11:00 pm. Pitch black with no moon, strictly on instruments only. Arrived safe and sound. Just another routine day of cruising!!!

Day 6 and 7 - 8/12/10 and 8/13/10

Called a taxi to take us into downtown Marquette, had breakfast in town and went to the library. My ex-husband, Keith, lives in Marquette so he picked us up in town and brought us back to the marina. Went back into down in the evening to go grocery shopping for the next several days.

The plan was to leave this morning to go to our next leg; Munising, Grand Marais, White Fish Point, then Sault Ste. Marie to go through the lock but due to weather and possibility of 7 foot waves we have decided to wait out the weather in the safety of the Presque Isle Marina until probably Monday. My son, Chris, drove up to Marquette from Minneapolis and plans on going with us through the Soo lock then have his Dad pick him up in Sault Ste. Marie. It was good seeing him this morning and hearing all about his 2 month backpacking trip around Europe and Eastern Europe.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs