Wanderlust: The Mintz Family's Sailing Adventure

17 May 2009 | Marathon Florida
17 May 2009 | Marathon Florida
07 May 2009 | Chicago, Illinois
05 May 2009 | Marathon, Florida
05 May 2009 | Marathon, Florida
05 May 2009 | Marathon, Florida
05 May 2009 | Marathon, Florida
19 April 2009 | Chicago, IL
08 April 2009 | Chicago, IL
06 March 2009 | Arecibo, Puerto Rico
06 March 2009 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
06 March 2009 | Offshore Near Puerto Rico
13 February 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
13 February 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
20 January 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
20 January 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
20 January 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
20 January 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten
20 January 2009 | Simpson Bay, St Maarten

Dorado!

05 May 2009 | Marathon, Florida
Bill Mintz
Fishing in the Open Water

We tow fishing lures pretty much all the time we are underway. One of the famous pelagic (deep water) fish is called Dorado. Sometimes it is called Dolphin, and sometimes Mahi-Mahi. It is the same fish. They can get up to about 90 lbs. and are known for their fighting ability. I have hooked them in the past, but haveonly gotten a few smaller ones onto the boat. Like most pelagics they are migratory and this time we were in the migration path. They travel and feed in schools sometimes, but always in pairs.

We started hooking up dorado after we left Hogsty reef in the southern Bahamas. The first one I got on the line was a real big one and took about 45 minutes to get to the boat. When we saw it we were very excited at the prospect of landing such a big fish. It was just beautiful and large. Eric got the gaff ready and took the leader in my hand and pulled the fish alongside the still moving boat. I shouted to Eric, "Just get the hook in it anywhere! There are no points for style!" Eric took me at my word and swung from over his head and got the hook firmly into the fish's belly. When he and I lifted it with some effort to the deck I realized that the fish was going to flap its way off the boat if we simply put it on the aft deck so I said "get it into the cockpit." Eric dragged it there and got it off the hook. Now the large, bleeding, dying, and wildly flapping fish started thrashing around in the cockpit and everyone jumped to the benches and started yelling "Don't fall down into the cabin".

It fell down into the cabin.

I shouted "someone go down there and sit on its head!" Of course that someone had to be me. I leaped down, Mike took a few photos,. I got an old towel and wrapped the fish's head to quiet it down and sat on it so it couldn't flap around any more. Finally it got still, but not before there was blood and guts on the sails that are below, and all over the interior.

I dragged the fish above onto deck for the task of preparing it for us to eat. I cut long fillets from the sides, and head. I tossed the bones, tail and head over for a meal for the next fish. Then I packaged the fish for the fridge for us to eat later. Of course we all took a few bites of it raw and fresh. Delicious!

It took us days to eat the fish and we never finished it all. We had dorado tacos, dorado spaghetti, fried dorado in pancake and beer batter, dorado and eggs, dorado au gratin, dorado sandwiches. We were even tempted to try dorado smoothies, but Wanderlust doesn't carry a blender.

Then we kept hooking dorado. Some were quite large again, some were smaller. We released them which meant that we had to got the hooks out of them. Since out net is not large enough to lift them, and the gaff hook will likely kill them we had to lift them on the leaders. Usually when we lifted the fish into the air it could shake the hook free. Sometimes we had to get them onto the deck and work it out. Some of the lures were lost to the fish. We caught so many dorado that we stopped even trolling lines for sport because we were all tired and sore from reeling in fish. We kept one other when the fish we had was getting low, but I ended giving it whole to another cruising boat when we arrived in port.

Just so you believe this 'fish story' I am including some photos.


Comments
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavour 40
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Judy and Bill Mintz
About: Our children: Alice is 15, Noah is 14, and Benjamin is 10.
Extra:
Judy and Bill have had a dream for 20 years: To take our kids on an extended sailing voyage. We have had the dream longer than we've had the kids. The dream became a goal, then a plan, and now we are making it a reality. We are sailing the Caribbean. We started in Chicago, cruised down the [...]

Who Are We?

Who: Judy and Bill Mintz
Port: Chicago, IL