Sally of Hamble

Loch Craignish to Jura

30 July 2014 | Craighouse
Weather: W 4-5, occasionally 6 so apparently 7, cloud cover eight eighths.
Craighouse is 35 miles on a bearing of 220 degrees from our mooring. Pretty easy navigation. We woke to drizzle and during the day had periods when it wasn't drizzling. We set the sails to the first reef and, with a following tide, we're easily achieving more than 7 knots over the ground.

William woke up briefly for sausages rolls then went back to bed.

The wind increased sporadically and during one of the prolonged gusts the boat heeled a little move than was comfortable and before Pete and Bob manned the wheel to get her back on an even keel, the apple bowl went over , the water bottle flew across the cabin and William fell out of bed. As he was in the fore peak we couldn't understand how he had fallen out, the fore peak is wall to wall bed. Apparently he had been sleeping on the high side and as the boat heeled he lost contact with the mattress and landed on the wall.

As the Paps of Jura appeared tantalisingly from behind the cloud cover only to be covered by the next cloud we stowed the sails and motored between the small isles off the bay to pick up a mooring buoy. We checked the tide on our plotter, just after low water with 15 centimetres above chart datum. So 2.1 on the chart would not be much more than that then! We nosed in carefully And chose a buoy in deeper water.

Once settled we woke the captain of the small ship and requested he transport us ashore where we found the Jura Distillery ( no bargains there), the Jura Hotel and another very well stocked local shop. After a pint in the hotel we walked along the shore. The water here is so clear and the colours constantly changing as the clouds scud across the sun. We watched crabs scuttling between shelter in rock pools and, fascinated, nearly got cut off by the rising tide.

Back on board we had sausage and mash with onions gravy and sat in the cockpit watching the night drawn in. Bob said another excellent day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sally of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Rival 41C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Pete & Lindsey Blow