Salt & Light

Dennehy's Set Sail

15 October 2009 | Seattle - not Belize :(
12 August 2009 | Seattle WA
05 July 2009 | Sacramento CA
19 June 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
27 May 2009 | Cay Ambergris Belize
17 May 2009 | Turneffe Islands Belize
08 May 2009 | Rio Dulce
30 April 2009 | Rio Dulce
15 April 2009 | Roatan, Honduras
02 April 2009 | Guanaja Honduras
23 March 2009 | Providencia, Columbia
10 March 2009 | Panama City
09 March 2009 | Panama city
16 February 2009 | Eastern Holandes
08 February 2009 | Green Island, San Blas
23 January 2009 | Cartagena
06 January 2009 | Cartagena
23 December 2008 | Cartegena
10 December 2008 | Bonaire
07 December 2008 | Los Roques VZ

will we make it..

16 February 2009 | Eastern Holandes
Denny
I am beginning to fear for our survival, and am wondering how we are going to make it. Life in the San Blas Islands is turning out to be pretty tough. We are forced to eat fresh lobster, crab, octopus, conch , and fish darn near every night! And when that gets old we supplement with pork loin, hamburger, or something else from the freezer. This living off the land is hard work as well. Whatever I am not able to hunt up from the reefs, we have to wait for a local fisherman to come by in his dug-out canoe and sell it to us. Sometimes we have to wait a whole day to buy enough to feed us all (and then some), and then we have to fork over enough money to cover it all. Usually 5-6 bucks! And don't even get me started on having to eat Kuna bread, which is like a very small soft baguette. If it has been out of the oven for more than a whole day or two it just isn't the same as fresh. Brutal I tell you! And if you don't believe me just ask Auntie Heidi, who just flew home after a ten day visit. She was so tired of all the fresh seafood she threatened to leave early!



Fortunately we were able to keep Heidi happy and convinced her to stick it out. I think she had a fun visit even if it did rain a couple of times and the clouds were around a lot. After her 6:30am arrival we set out with Migo for a sail to Morbedup in order to celebrate Joanna's 15th birthday. 30 knots of wind and 4'-5' chop made for a 'sporty' sail. Throw in an engine that wouldn't run and scattered reefs with breaking seas..welcome to the San Blas Auntie Heidi, hope you're not too tuckered out after travelling for almost 24 hours! Arriving at Morbedup was a great relief to all, and Joanna had a fun birthday. Tucked snug as a bug behind a small palm tree covered island was a great relief, for the next several days it blew around 25 knots with frequent rain showers. Still, the water was 81 degrees and the air just a touch warmer. The arrival of several charter boats full of French tourists finally chased us away. They were kind, and quiet, but let's just say we all would have appreciated a bit more clothing than what they were wearing. Some people can pull it off, most can't.



Our next stop brought us to the Green Island area where we managed to find our own, very small deserted island with a perfect beach to hang a rope swing from a palm tree. As our Kuna bread was beginning to get a bit stale (YIKES!), we set out for the town of Nargana in search of some fruits and veggies and the fabled internet. Actually, the main reason was to take a dinghy trip up the Rio Diablo in search of crocodiles, monkeys, toucans, parrots, and all the other wild life that lives along a real jungle river. We only saw a handful of birds and no monkeys or crocs. However the river is so clean and pure up a few miles that you can drink right out of it. We had our fill to drink and it felt so good to swim and bathe in the cool clean fresh water rather than salt water. It felt like the blue hole at La WisWis, but much warmer and in the jungle, for those of you who know where that is!



A few more stops for a few more mola's, Kuna jewelry, and Kuna bread and it was time for Auntie Heidi to hop a plane back to Panama City and then back home. Our favorite traditional Kuna village of Soledad Miria held a few more choice mola's for us, and they were all very happy to receive some of the 26 pairs of reading glasses that Auntie Heidi brought with her. Many years of very, very fine hand stitching mola's is hard on the eyes and let's just say there are no eye doctors around. Watching the women try out the different strengths was very entertaining. As they are proud people they were very shy, yet thankful. Of course the kids were fun to watch, and were very thrilled to see themselves on the digital camera display.



All in all we had a great visit with Heidi and were sorry to see her go. I know she had fun but she was also looking forward to a nice hot shower!
Comments
Vessel Name: Salt & Light
Vessel Make/Model: '99 Beneteau 44cc
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan

The Adventure Has Begun!!

Who: Denis, Rennie, Michaela, Liam and Ethan
Port: Seattle, WA