S/Y Sanctuary (41' Soverel Cutter)

Join us (vicariously) as we fulfill our dream of cruising.

04 October 2011 | Grenada
24 July 2011 | Grenada
13 July 2011 | St. Georges, Grenada
11 July 2011 | St. Georges, Grenada
07 July 2011 | South Side of Grenada
27 June 2011 | Tyrrel Bay Carriacou
23 June 2011 | Marigot Bay, St. Lucia
14 June 2011 | Fort de France, Martinique
09 June 2011 | Isle de Saintes
08 June 2011 | Isle de Saintes
04 June 2011 | Terre den Haute, Isle de Saintes
03 June 2011 | Terre den Haute
02 June 2011 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
01 June 2011 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
29 May 2011 | Overlooking English Harbor
27 May 2011 | English Harbor, Antigua
25 May 2011 | St. Barthemely (St. Barth)
17 May 2011 | Grand Case, St. Martin
17 May 2011 | Loterie Farm, St. Martin
16 May 2011 | St. Martin, French Antilles

New Places to Stay

16 March 2008 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
Carl
Today was a long travel day covering over 60 miles, which may not seem like much to those who travel the roads but when you're moving a sailboat along the winding ICW at between 4 and 7 knots for 10-11 hours it makes it a good day.

We crossed a major hurdle today transiting a 15 mile stretch of the Cape Fear River against what were forecast to be 20+ knot headwinds. This is a very wide river and this section is exposed to the open sea in a way that made our first trip along it a very unpleasant one where we were bucking heavy seas and winds the entire way.

In anticipation of rough conditions this time we considered waiting for better conditions in the coming days but through our VHF radio we talked with another cruiser up ahead of us who signaled that the winds and seas appeared to be quite tolerable.

Forging ahead we crossed the river in good time with little difficulty, an once on the other side we pressed on past our anchorage spot from a previous trip to a new town, giving us the chance to experience another coastal town and it's unique features.

Wrightsville Beach is another community built along the barrier islands facing the ocean that offer both long and short term residents the chance to experience the edge of the Atlantic Ocean first hand. It has both single family homes with full time residents and apartments for short term visitors along with the shops and restaurants to support the lifestyle. We didn't stay long but docked the dinghy along the wharf and had a beer together and on the way back identified some boaters in the vessels that were anchored near us.

You can often tell cruisers anchored for the night. They're the ones in the windbreakers and sunglasses with the grocery bags or backpacks carrying provisions back to their dinghy. We met a couple from elsewhere in North Carolina on their way home from a trip to the Bahamas and traded some stories and experiences before wishing them well. Then it was back to the boat for a nice dinner and early to bed in anticipation of another long day traveling north.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanctuary
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 41' Soverel Cutter
Hailing Port: Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Crew: Carl and Carrie Butler
About: We spent last winter at City Dock in Annapolis where Carrie underwent treatment for Breast Cancer. She's now 1 year free of cancer and we're itching to head south to the Bahamas and beyond in 2009-2010. Stay tuned to the Blog site for our adventures and lessons learned.

Cast Off the Lines

Who: Carl and Carrie Butler
Port: Fort Myers Beach, Florida