S/Y Sanctuary (41' Soverel Cutter)

Join us (vicariously) as we fulfill our dream of cruising.

04 October 2011 | Grenada
24 July 2011 | Grenada
13 July 2011 | St. Georges, Grenada
11 July 2011 | St. Georges, Grenada
07 July 2011 | South Side of Grenada
27 June 2011 | Tyrrel Bay Carriacou
23 June 2011 | Marigot Bay, St. Lucia
14 June 2011 | Fort de France, Martinique
09 June 2011 | Isle de Saintes
08 June 2011 | Isle de Saintes
04 June 2011 | Terre den Haute, Isle de Saintes
03 June 2011 | Terre den Haute
02 June 2011 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
01 June 2011 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
29 May 2011 | Overlooking English Harbor
27 May 2011 | English Harbor, Antigua
25 May 2011 | St. Barthemely (St. Barth)
17 May 2011 | Grand Case, St. Martin
17 May 2011 | Loterie Farm, St. Martin
16 May 2011 | St. Martin, French Antilles

Shelter from the Storm

19 March 2008 | Oriental, NC
Carl
We normally anchor out from the marinas and docks to save money. Without a steady income to feed our cruising "habit" we are always looking for ways to conserve our funds, and not running up dock fees at marinas is usually the first place we look by anchoring out, which costs nothing (well no money anyway).

Protection from bad weather while at anchor can be achieved in various ways, whether it's from natural shelters along the shoreline or from the big heavy anchor and the scope of (i.e. how much) anchor chain we put out.

Last night we pulled into Oriental for some provisions and rest while finding safe harbor from some potentially very damaging wind gusts that would accompany the passage of a cold front. Our first choice was to anchor off from the marina, but the protection from the winds wasn't there and other vessels in the area wouldn't allow us to extend our scope. In short, not a good spot to anchor with the prevailing conditions.

As winds began gusting over 35 (maybe 40) mph in the afternoon we decided that we needed a better place to hole up for the upcoming weather, and fortunately found a slip available at the nearby marina. But even getting into the slip in the prevailing winds was not easy, but with some help from the marina Dockmaster we were able to maneuver the boat into the slip and are tucked in for the night.

The only question now: Will we be able to get back out of the slip and underway tomorrow to continue our journey north? While we certainly hope so, if we can't do it safely then what's the point?
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanctuary
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 41' Soverel Cutter
Hailing Port: Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Crew: Carl and Carrie Butler
About: We spent last winter at City Dock in Annapolis where Carrie underwent treatment for Breast Cancer. She's now 1 year free of cancer and we're itching to head south to the Bahamas and beyond in 2009-2010. Stay tuned to the Blog site for our adventures and lessons learned.

Cast Off the Lines

Who: Carl and Carrie Butler
Port: Fort Myers Beach, Florida