s/v Sand Dollar

12 November 2007 | Opua, New Zealand
11 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
10 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
09 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
08 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
07 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
06 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
05 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
04 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
03 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
02 November 2007 | En Route from Fiji to New Zealand
01 November 2007 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
31 October 2007 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
29 October 2007 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
27 October 2007 | Navadra Island, Fiji
26 October 2007 | Mana Island, Fiji
25 October 2007 | Mana Island, Fiji
24 October 2007 | Musket Cove, Fiji
23 October 2007 | Musket Cove, Fiji

Monday, November 12, 2007 - New Zealand at Last

12 November 2007 | Opua, New Zealand
Don
Sand Dollar tied up to the quarantine dock at 11 o'clock last night at Opua, NZ to conclude the last passage of a 7-month cruise of the South Pacific. The passage was 1149 miles covered in nine days of mostly upwind sailing with two days of motoring in light winds. The sailing was "spirited" and, at times, uncomfortable. There were several days of high anxiety concerning a severe weather system that was forecast to bring storm conditions. Fortunately it did not occur. All-in-all it was a very good, fast trip and lived up to its reputation of not being for the faint of heart.

I am happy to be in New Zealand, one of my favorite places on earth and look forward to five months of local cruising in the Bay of Islands, fly fishing for trout in the South Island, and working on the boat. There are many cruising friends here whom I have met along the way and I feel fortunate to be among such a great group of people. We all rely on each other for technical assistance, aid in times of crisis, information of any sort, and emotional support. It is like one big international family following the same dream. Many of us do not yet know what we will do when the offshore cruising season resumes next April. There are many choices and lots of time to think about them.

This blog will be taking a break from regular reporting while I am land-bound and, except for occasional log entries describing inland travel, fly fishing, and wine tasting, will not resume until next April. I appreciate all of the comments sent and will finally be able to respond to them now that decent internet service is available. In the next few weeks I will be adding more photos to the gallery and inserting images into the existing daily reports. If you have enjoyed this blog and have not commented, please let me know who you are and send any suggestions you may have for improving its content. I would love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest and support.

Don Pratten s/v Sand Dollar Opua, New Zealand
Comments
Vessel Name: Sand Dollar
Vessel Make/Model: Crealock 34 by Pacific Seacraft
Hailing Port: Beaux Arts, WA
Crew: Don Pratten
About: No crew at present time

Sand Dollar

Who: Don Pratten
Port: Beaux Arts, WA