I must go down to the sea

11 January 2014 | Three hummock island
06 January 2014
04 January 2014
03 January 2014
03 January 2014
01 January 2014
29 December 2013
29 December 2013 | Hobsons Bay Yacth Club
26 February 2013 | Mooloolaba Queensland
12 April 2012 | Port Phillip Bay, Victoria
12 April 2012 | Shepherd's Bay, Hunter Island
09 April 2012 | Strahan
04 April 2012 | Strahan
02 April 2012 | Spain Bay, Port Davey
02 April 2012 | Schooner Cove, Bathurst Channel
02 April 2012 | Moulter's Inlet, Bathurst Harbour
02 April 2012 | Moulter's Inlet, Bathurst Harbour
02 April 2012 | Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Channel
02 April 2012 | Clatyon's Corner, Bathurst HArbour
02 April 2012 | Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Harbour

Half way around

07 March 2012 | Hobart
Lesley and Phil
A cold early start at 4.30am set us on our way to Hobart. There was a slight hitch in getting the mainsail hoisted in that the clip on the halyard (the tope that hauls up the mainsail) came undone and the halyard ended up at the top of the mast, with the mainsail still down. Never mind - we used the headsail only until there was enough light when we used another halyard (topping lift) to hoist the main. As planned, we short cut the Tasman Peninsula by going through the Marion Narrows and the Denison Canal (man-made). This was an interesting experience. The narrows is funnily enough a narrow entrance to a large bay that leads to the canal, and the sandbars at this entrance shift regularly. We had the latest information sheet and mud map from Marine and Safety Tasmania, which allowed us to make an uneventful crossing into the bay. We passed the small town of Dunnalley which is nestled in among some very pretty hills (see photo). Then we had to call up the bridgemaster on the radio so that he could open the swing bridge at the far end of the canal. Would you believe there is even a traffic light at the entrance of the canal to let boats know when the bridge is open - you can't see it at that point as it is around the corner. We then spent the afternoon sailing across Storm Bay and up the Derwent River into Hobart - a landmark in our trip as we consider this our half way point. We are tied up at the Bellerive Yacht Club and are feeling somewhat strange to be in a city after having been in some quite remote places over the last few weeks. Thanks to everyone for your messages - it is great to receive them. Also if you haven't discovered it yet, I have set up a couple of albums of selected photos in our gallery which you should be able to access by clicking the gallery link on the right hand side of the blog page.
Comments
Vessel Name: Paseafique
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 44
Hailing Port: Hobson's Bay, Melbourne
Crew: Phil and Lesley
About: We have been racing and sailing as a couple for a number of years, including circumnavagating Tasmania in our previous boat Sandpiper.
Extra: I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gipsy life, To the gull's way and the whales way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quite sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
Paseafique 's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
11 Photos
Created 9 April 2012
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2012
41 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
9 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
13 Photos
Created 27 February 2012