Sanity II Adventures

02 March 2013 | Bahama Banks
27 February 2013 | Ft Lauderdale
27 February 2013 | Bahama Banks
27 February 2013 | Bahama Bank
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas
15 February 2013
15 February 2013 | Governor's Harbor
15 February 2013 | North Eluthera
15 February 2013 | Hatchet Bay
15 February 2013 | North Eleuthera
10 February 2013 | Hatchet Bay
10 February 2013 | Governor's Harbor
10 February 2013 | The Harbor at Governor's
10 February 2013 | Blue Hole @ Rock Sound
05 February 2013 | Overlooking one of the Pineapple Cays
05 February 2013 | Rock Sound/Palmetto Point
31 January 2013 | Rock Sound
28 January 2013 | Big Majors Spot/Piggy Beach

Governor's Harbor & Hatchet Bay

10 February 2013 | Blue Hole @ Rock Sound
Governor's Harbor has been the highlight of the trip so far. GH is a nice place. We chose to anchor in Cupids Bay instead of the harbor. There were six boats in the harbor, but the cruising guide left me skeptical about holding and debris there. There are no mooring balls at either place, contrary to what the guide says. We are anchored in about 14' of water with another Beneteau that we met in Rock Sound. Access to shore is about the same from either anchorage. Holding seems good (1700 RPMs) in sand and very light grass.

Tomorrow is laundry and water replenishment day in the morning and then a planned walk to the other side of the island to the former Club Med beach which is supposed to be beautiful. Will report back later.

Later. My last report was from Cupid Bay at Governors Harbor. There was good holding and very comfortable as long as the wind was out of the n-ne. When it clocked around to the SE and built to 15 it got very rolly. Thursday we moved over to the main harbor. It was very comfortable there and we had no problem with holding. We left there early due to the weather, but plan to return as there was a lot more to see and do that we missed. It was windy and overcast on Thursday so after laundry and water replenishment and moving the boat we did not hike over the hill to the former Club Med beach.

It was an easy 15 mile sail to Hatchet Bay, "the safest harbor in the country". There are ten mooring balls here spread over three areas in the harbor. There is a 90' cut through the rocks to get in and there is a short rock jetty on both sides as you pass through the cut. You don't see the cut until you are right on top of it. Last night (Friday) at 5 pm the fast ferry from Nassau came barreling through the pass. It will return on Sunday night. There is a dinghy dock on the SW corner of the harbor with a gazebo and pier for the boaters that leads into the "center" of the settlement. There is not much here. We walked the entire settlement today. There is a place called Twin Brothers that is very nice that has a restaurant, bar, shop and rooms to rent. They also rent a car here (I emphasize one car). We ate lunch at the Front Porch and got a lot of information from the owner - Francis. Today's special was stone crabs that he catches himself. These claws were impressive. They were the size of your fist. The lunch included a pound of claws, which was three claws, FF and a salad. Mary and I shared it and it was plenty for us, including a couple of beers. The claws were cracked, but he showed us how to crack them with a teaspoon. Pretty cool!

This morning we went to church in the settlement. I know the sign said Catholic Church and the service was a Mass, but it was more like a Revival. We shook hands and spoke to everyone there. After church we walked south on the island and explored some new area that included a New Orleans style cemetery right on the beach. Several of the above ground crypts had been destroyed by the water from previous hurricanes. After our walk we stopped at Twin Brothers for one of their "world famous-as seen on CBS" daiquiris. It was a cocktail that you drank with a spoon. It was quite good and very refreshing.

Since we will be here couple of days we plan to rent THE car tomorrow for a day and visit some sites we won't get to by boat.

Dave & Mary
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanity II
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Crew: Dave & Mary Alexander

Sanity II

Who: Dave & Mary Alexander
Port: Sunny Isles Beach, FL