Sanity II Adventures

02 March 2013 | Bahama Banks
27 February 2013 | Ft Lauderdale
27 February 2013 | Bahama Banks
27 February 2013 | Bahama Bank
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells
22 February 2013 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas
15 February 2013
15 February 2013 | Governor's Harbor
15 February 2013 | North Eluthera
15 February 2013 | Hatchet Bay
15 February 2013 | North Eleuthera
10 February 2013 | Hatchet Bay
10 February 2013 | Governor's Harbor
10 February 2013 | The Harbor at Governor's
10 February 2013 | Blue Hole @ Rock Sound
05 February 2013 | Overlooking one of the Pineapple Cays
05 February 2013 | Rock Sound/Palmetto Point
31 January 2013 | Rock Sound
28 January 2013 | Big Majors Spot/Piggy Beach

Glass Window Bridge

15 February 2013 | North Eleuthera
Sunny and warm
On Monday morning we were still in Hatchet Bay and it was still a bit breezy. So we continued with our plan to rent a car. We were able to obtain a car from Mr McLean at the gas station. the car was a bit used and had marginal tires, but the brakes worked well, even though the windows did not. The car at Twin Brothers was already reserved. We drove up to the Glass Window and got out to take pictures and watch the blow hole. This is a must see on the trip. The view and the whole experience is incredible. The area was originally a rock arch that collapsed over time. They built abroad bridge and during one of the hurricanes the roadway was actually shifted about seven feet. Check out the picture.

From there we went to just past the North Eleuthera airport to the end of the road and caught a water taxi to Harbor Island. On Harbor Island we rented a golf cart. We spent the day touring, visiting shops and had lunch at one of the resorts. Along the waterfront one open air bar had Sands beer three for $5 and they were very cold. (At the N Eleuthera airport they have Sands 3 for $4.50). We saw everything we wanted to see and were back to the car by 4 pm. It is not advisable to drive here after dark. Everyone drives very fast and they all drive on the wrong side of the road. Saturday night there was a fatal collision just north of Hatchet Bay. We drove through Gregory Town and Bluff on our way back and were still back in HB by 5:15. It was a day well spent.

Since the weather has settled for a few days we traveled back to Governors Harbor to complete our visit there. We had planned to stop at Alabaster Bay, but the south wind was still a bit brisk so we continued on to GH. We made a water run to the shore and invited the other three boats over for cocktails. Two of them showed up. The third boat, who will go unnamed, has been a pain in our space. In Hatchet Bay they tried to anchor on top of us and I had to "politely" request they move. It took them about an hour to anchor their ketch. They arrived about a half hour after us in GH and did the same thing, only closer this time. again, another "polite" request to get out of our space. Again, they took over an hour to set their anchor. They must have tried at least seven times to get the anchor to hold and tried two different anchors. Believe me, they were so close that I could document every action they took.

Wednesday we walked all through Cupids Cay and then hiked over the hill to the ocean side. It is supposed to be a two mile walk to the Levy Nature Preserve. It is every bit of that. We actually had a cabbie I had met earlier give us a ride the last half mile at no charge, although I did give him a tip. We had lunch at Tippys which is a little past the preserve. This restaurant was recommended by a shop owner in Rock Sound. Great location, good food and crowded. It is on a beautiful ocean beach. That side of the island is very upscale and you may forget you are in the Bahamas. Then we toured the preserve. It is a nice preserve with several trails to walk and a guide sheet to point out the various trees and birds. It was certainly worth the time to explore. We were tired at this point and hitchhiker when we got to the road. The girl who was our server at lunch picked us up and took us back to our dinghy. The people on the island are super nice.

Thursday morning we topped off our water tanks and then went to the internet cafe to surf the web on their internet to catch up on news. then we hitchhiked our way across the island to go to the beach for the afternoon. it was a calm day on the ocean and we had dolphin swim within 10 yards of us. The beach was beautiful, but not a shell to be had. We stopped at the Beach House Restaurant for a drink and then hitched a ride back to the harbor. Fishermen were selling there catch and we bought two lobsters for Friday night's dinner.

Then it was back to the boat for a Valentines Day dinner of Costco steaks on the grill.

Today it will be back to Hatchet Bay for weather protection and stone crabs. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday we will be headed for Spanish Wells.

We have noticed that Eleuthera sure does have a lot of very loud roosters!!

Dave & Mary
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanity II
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Crew: Dave & Mary Alexander

Sanity II

Who: Dave & Mary Alexander
Port: Sunny Isles Beach, FL