Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

01 February 2011 | Jumento's

January 7th 2011...

I've been remiss about keeping this blog up to date... and for those of you who occasionally look over here... I'm sorry.

The last time we posted we were in Thompson Bay, Long Island waiting out a front. We had a great time there as usual, touching base with folks we've met there in the last few years. There isn't much to say really. We had a New Year's day brunch on board "Sapphire" in honor of Sam's birthday which was well attended. The food was great a usual. Kathy made some cinamon/nut muffans that were a hit. Steve made an asparagras keish, I made ham, mushroom strada, Susan brought a fruit salad and Leta made a key lime pie. We all had a a great time... and then dinghied to shore to Trifina's to watch football games. Sadly, the Spartans didn't seem ready to play even though we were dressed for the occasion.

The next day we...(Sapphire, Fine Lion, Night Hawk and Kokomo) were off to the Jumentos. We left Thompson Bay at about daylight and headed west to the Comber Channel about two hours away. Our departure was timed with the tide to make sure there was enough water. The "channel" is actually just an area of the banks on the south side of Hog Cay that have about 5 ½ feet of water at low tide. It's best for us to hit make the 10 mile passage on a ½ tide rising to make sure that the chop doesn't bounce us off the bottom. At the western end of the Comber we turn south to head down the Jumento chain which in combination with the Ragged Islands, runs about 80 miles. \

There were two other boats making the transit the same day so instead of running down to Flimago Cay where there isn't a lot of good anchoring space, we stopped 14 miles sooner and anchored at Water Cay. There was enough daylight left that lowered the dinghy and went explooring. On our return we stopped at "Fine Lion" who invited us over for sundowers ... so we ran over to "Night Hawk" and ferried them back to the party. (both "Night Hawk and "Fine Lion" travel with their dinghies on their fordecks so on an overnight stop they don't take the time put them back in the water. With davits it's much easier for us to drop it in the water)

The next day we went traveled in the Ocean and fished our way south to Buena Vista Cay, a trip of about 40 miles. It was another great sail but we failed in the fish department. Steve and Kim however, caught a black fin tuna... to avoid the skunk. On our arrival at Beuena Vista, I lowered the dinghy and went scouting the area to the north of our anchorage. We the "look bucket" I checked out coral heads for fish and lobster and checked our the grassy areas for conch. After an hour or so of looking I saw the tips of antennas sticking our from under a rock. There were lobster in the area. I returned to the boat to collect my spear and returned for my first lobster of the season... and picked up a nice trigger fish as well. "Fine Lion invited us all over for ahai tuna so I quickly cracked my Lobster and brough it along as well. Susan made pizza and we once again ate way better than we deserve.

We spent the next morning hunting and then headed south to Double Breasted Cay to spend a few days and weather the next cold front. "Veranda" was the only boat in the area and had headed over into the anchorage earlier in the day... "Sam the Skull" arrived later in the afternoon. We hiked the beach in the afternoon and all gathered on the beach around 5. Chirsty brought Lobster salad, and Susan made lobester sandwiches with fresh bread and barry's catch from the morning hunt. Steve made a nice dip as well.... The lobester dishes made a great meal.

The next day ...another beautiful day in the Bahamas, we hunted for a while in morning and then I hiked to the north end of the island to see what was there. I picked up a pocket full of hamburger beans and found two bronze fishing floats which we worth lugging back to the boat. In the afternoon, we met on the beach to clean some conch that Steve and Kim had picked up at Buena Vista and then decided to use up our soon to be rotten vegstables in a community conch salad. We reconvineed on :Fine Lion" a little later to chop veggies,a few hot peppers, and conch while Kim supervised the seasoning. The eight of us made short work of a huge bowl of conch salad....for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere