Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Looking good

02 September 2009 | Deltaville, VA
Mike

September 1st, 2009 Deltaville, VA
I got up early this morning and made a list of things that needed to be done today. Most of them didn't take too much time but the list was long. I drilled and attached our new chain guard, drove to the hardware and grocery one last time, painted under the pads holding Sapphire in the air by adding a couple extra jacks, added another coat of bottom paint to the leading edges and water line, sanded and added a coat of finish to the starboard toe and rub rails, sanded and finished the bowsprit.
Kathy cleaned most of the day but did paint the board to which we attach our jerry cans. Our new boat names came in the mail so we put them on in the afternoon.
Then we picked up the hose and moved everything up the ladder that needed to be up in the boat and hauled the rest of the stuff to the dumpster.
Tomorrow, we will have to prop up the mizzen boom and tie off its topping lift so that the boat launcher can pick us up properly. The weather is forecast to be windy out on the bay, so after launching we'll probably just anchor in Jackson Creek and do nothing for a day or so. We still have one package that hasn't arrived.

August 31st, 2009 Deltaville,VA
I woke to Kathy shutting hatches and never got back to sleep. It was cool and drizzly...70's , and felt good for a change. It wasn't however a good day for painting. The refrigerator was still not right so I went over to the office and scheduled a tech. to come over and check it out. I told Sean to call about a half hour before the tech showed up to give me time to take out the sink. By the time I got back to the boat, Sean called to give me my notice.
Jim (the tech.) arrived and checked things out to find that we were low on coolant and charged things up. I'm sure that it will be another $100 that we don't have, but was worth it never the less.
Kathy did three loads of laundry during the morning. We took the car to the hardware for some bolts to attach our new sacrificial board to the bowsprit and stopped at grocery one last time. Our bottom paint arrived around noon after its sight-seeing tour of Michigan, but it was still raining on and off so we decided not to paint. I wandered over to the office to push our launch date back until Wednesday. Since we had removed the tarp yesterday, I could move around enough to wash the deck in the rain.
Sitting in the cockpit reading the paint can a little later, I found that Micron Extra needed a minimum of 16 hours of dry time between coats. The rain had let up so it was time to paint. Kathy taped the water line while I wiped down the hull with solvent. We started painting about 4:30 and it was just dusk when I returned from the shower. Kathy had made a nice meal of ham, potato and green beans, which we ate in the cockpit in the dark

August 30th, 2009 Deltaville, VA
On of the things that we wanted to get accomplished here on the hard is some sewing. It's a job that we could do anywhere so it had a lower priority than some. However, the first job of the day was defrosting our refrigerator. I blew up Kathy's hair dryer and had to resort to warm water. It just doesn't seem to be operating correctly. It was only iced up on the lower 2/3 of the evaporator, which can't be right.
After a bite to eat and a load of laundry, Kathy set up the machine while I took off the dodger. The zippers that attached the center panel of isinglass failed in the sun last winter and needed replacing. There are a few more sewing projects if there is time.
I worked on scrubbing the old wax off the port side and after it dried, began waxing. I also put a final coat of gloss on the butterfly hatch and hit the bow sprit as well.
Somewhere along the way we had hot dogs for lunch.
Replacing zippers was a pain and took lots longer than either one of us thought, but eventually at about 4 pm she was done. She also added a leather patch where the boom occasionally rubs. The next job was a tear in the sail cover where it covers a winch. There was a piece of leather there already but it wasn't big enough to do the job. In a few minutes it was fixed. The last job was to look at a tiny hole in the very top of our mainsail. We actually found two



August 29th, 2009 Deltaville, VA
Our main job today is to bed the window panes on our butterfly hatch. It has 5 coats of finish but there are 24 slats that hold the panes in that need to be screwed in, taped inside and out, unscrewed, bedded, screwed back in, cleaned up, and finally the tape comes back off. (Just want to say, that's 60 screws out, in, out, and in)
I went for a walk and stopped in at the cabinet makers shop to see about having the ends of a piece of epay sawed on 45 degree angles to use on the bow sprit as a sacrificial. The chain flops in a couple of spots and the new board will protect the teak. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years.
After breakfast, I scrubbed the old wax off the starboard cabin side. The process calls for lots of fresh water and needs to be done before we launch.
We took a break around noon and hauled the old inverter/charger to the dumpster and then took a walk around the boatyard. Larry from "The Dove" was bedding some dynaplates and needed a hand for a few minutes. After chatting the required about of time we returned to our jobs. I finished scrubbing the starboard cabin side and then had some lunch.
After lunch it was time to attack the bedding project. I opened to tube of sealant to find that it had been around too long and was useless. Luckily the car was available so we changed clothes and drove in to the hardware to buy some new sealant.
It took us forever to get the slats screwed down and bedded and while I was cleaning up one pane, Kathy had to clear the weep holes in the previous one before the sealant set up. We finally finished in time for me to wax the starboard cabin sides. The last job of the day was to get a coat of gloss on the bowsprit.
When we were home some friends of ours gave us a gift of frozen venison, knowing that it is one of the things that we miss in our new life on the water. If venison isn't butchered correctly it tastes gamey so we were always very picky during that process. The venison that we grilled tonight was perfect. Thanks... Mark, Sam, Russ and Carolyn.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere