Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

13 September 2009 | Mill Creek, VA
Mike
September 11th, 2009 Mill Creek, VA
The winds are supposed to subside this afternoon but by about noon they hadn't . We spent another day reading and working a few boat projects. There is really nothing more to say.
I did speak to a boat surveyor who was contracted by the insurance company.

September 10th, 2009 Mill Creek, VA
The wind blew all night and all day at about 25 knots. Our anchorage is fine but there's a gale out on the Bay. We spent the day doing some puzzles and reading. I am about out of projects, but did spend some time putting things away.
I thought about baking but never really got around to it. It was a good day to curl up with a book and a blanket and that is precisely what we did.

September 9th, 2009 Heney's Creek to Mill Creek, VA
We left our anchorage in Henry's Creek about 8am and headed our way out Indian Creek into the Bay. We found about 12 knots of NE wind, right on our nose, and waves of 2 to 3 feet. It wasn't a bad ride, but we were only making about 4 knots into the waves and wind.
By about 10 am we had a decision to make. We knew that the winds were going to build through out the day and by midnight be gusting to 30 knots so a protected anchorage was important. Our choices along this stretch of the Bay are limited; pull over here into the Great Wicomico and into one of the creeks, continue on and go up the Potomac into a creek, or push on to the Solomons.
The Potomac was out of the way and it was 40 miles into the wind or about 10 hours to the Solomons which meant we would be arriving around dark with no GPS. I chose to pull over and we worked our way into Mill Creek.
Our anchorage was beautiful. We read most of the afternoon listening to the wind build. The skies were grey and it rained on and off most of the day.
We baked sweet potatoes and ham for dinner. Kathy made a nice salad with tomatoes from Mike and Tammy's garden.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere