Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

24 September 2009 | Annapolis, MD
Mike
September 17th, 2009 Annapolis, MD
After coffee I organized myself in the cockpit with a board in my lap bagan soldering and heat shrinking the wires in the new cable to those in the old. It seemed to take forever. When finished we pulled our new, longer, cable down the mizzen into a storage locker there and set up to solder the GPS to the antenna and to power.
Finally, with that done, we turned on the new GPS and walked through its initial start-up procedures. Unfortunately the antenna seemed to be nonexistant.
I had connected the new GPS to the old antenna and since the voltages were ok on the old one, it should work. I spent about an hour trying how to temporarily wire in the new antenna but failed.
At that point I quit for the day, grabbed a beer and crossed the dock to where Skip was attempting to remove one of his winches. The ends of the bolts had at some point been cut with bolt cutters and one of them was bent to the point that we couldn't turn the nut with the tools we had. It started to sprinkle so we picked everything up and made a note of what tools we needed to attack the job tomorrow.
We read for a while and at about dusk sautéed some soft shelled crabs which we had with a nice salad, crusty bread (possibly beyond "Crusty") and our good olive oil.

September 16th, 2009 Annapolis, MD

Steve came over this morning to say good-by and drop of a pair of glasses that I had left in his rental car. We talked for an hour and promised to stop in Oriental in a month.
I began the process of installing the GPS which meant creating a template and drilling the mount to fit on our mizzen. Then I spent a few hours reading the installation manual. There are 16 tiny wires in a cable that unfortunately wasn't long enough to reach to where it had to. So after lunch I took the dinghy to town to try to find the right wire. I spoke to a young guy at Fawcett's that would have ordered me what I needed but I came home without any.
Kathy came up with the idea of just using the old cable that went to our previous GPS.
There were fewer wires but enough for our application...at least for now.
By that time it was mid afternoon so I got my book and spent the rest of the day reading.
I made stroganoff for dinner and Kathy steamed some broccoli. It was a good change of pace.
Later we watched our first movie online.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere