Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Ross splicing a line for us

25 October 2009 | Oriental, NC
Mike
October 23th, 2009 Oriental, NC
I started putting things away in the cockpit while sipping on my coffee. Then I transferred the fuel from our Jerry cans to the main tank. Kathy put together a load of laundry and around 10 a.m. we walked over to Kim and Steve's condo. They were running errands and voting in Bayboro and the plan was for me to tag along to fill our cans with diesel while Kathy stayed to do some clothes.
Before we left, Steve and I went into town to pick up some fresh shrimp and scallops. The place wasn't open yet so wandered down to the Free Dock to and found Nils attempting to spin "Fairwinds" around on the dock with lines. It was much easier with the two of us helping. By the time we were finished the seafood place was open and I made my purchases.
Back at the condo we used the food saver to package shrimp and scallops and then popped them into the freezer.
We stopped at NAPA for oil filters, the CVS, Food Lion, City Hall, the gas station, and a bank before returning the 10 miles or so to Oriental.
I rolled the diesel out to "Sapphire" in a dock cart and transferred it to our main tank which filled it. Then I took the empty cans in the cart to the marina downtown to get another load to carry on deck. After returning and properly stowing the now full fuel cans, I got the hose and filter out to fill our water tank. With the water running I emptied the Lazaret and separated out things that we didn't need or hadn't used in a year...and came up with a nice sized bag of junk.
Kathy returned about that time with the clean clothes and began putting things away below. With the tank full and the hose out I rinsed off the deck, scrubbed a layer of grime, and rinsed again.
I heard someone yelling at me.... and turned to find "Second Wind", Ken and Donna's Bayfield 40, anchored in the harbor with Ken on deck waving. We met them in Annapolis two years ago but didn't see them last year. Hopefully we'll see them before they take off.
Just as I finished, I heard someone yelling at me again and turned to find Jerry on the opposite dock. Jerry is a Coast Guard Auxiliary Safety Inspector and he had offered to inspect us earlier in the week when the boat was torn up. Now was a much better time, so we invited him over.
The inspection took about 30 minutes and we passed without any shortcomings. The decal which is attached amidships on the port side, might save us a Coast Guard boarding when less convenient.
We walked back to the condo with a empty Lemmon cello bottle to fill with olive oil that Steve had ordered and ask us to split. Kathy already had one bottle full but they insisted that we take another. There was a bon-voyage party for them at their "Club" tonight which we were invited to, but we begged off. It would have been fun but we were both tired and it would have been a hassle getting cleaned up and finding good clothes.
We ended up sitting in the cockpit until dark and then watching a movie.

October 22st, 2009 Oriental, NC
After coffee I finished the final installation of our new/old Radar. It took a while because I had to make a splice in the power cable but eventually everything was in order. Then I wired the Water Maker. Knowing that we wouldn't be using the water maker until we got to the ocean, I had put off connecting it to power.
I installed a bus bar and ran the refrigerator power there. Then came off the bus back to the frig and to a switch in the water maker line. It took more time than I expected. By the time I finished, the morning was about shot and we had plans to ride to New Bern with Steve and Kim for a trip to Walmart.
After way too much shopping we returned Oriental and with two completely full dock carts, headed back to "Sapphire" to unload. With things at least on the boat if not in their place, we walked back over to the Condo for a Conch Salad Dinner which was delightful.






Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere