Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

You never know what you might find on the beach

31 March 2010 | Big Majors Spot
March 29th and 30th, 2010 Big Majors Spot, Exumas

There is a front approaching and the wind blew hard all day from the south precluding any trips to shore. We read for a while but during the morning I cooked up some black beans and rice ... and then decided to try Susan's bread recipe.

The beans were great but by the end of the day the bread was marginal. It just didn't seem to rise like it should have. It may have been the yeast or possibly it was just a little drafty in the boat. Anyway it was ok but a little heavy.

In the afternoon we battened down the hatches, stowed anything that could blow away and lifted the dinghy out of the water into the davits. The front was supposed to hit around midnight so we stayed up late watching video. Soon after we went to bed the first squall hit with lots of rain but not that much wind. It did however mark the beginning of the wind shift to the west where we have little protection.

We bounced around a little but were able to get some sleep until about 4am when the front itself hit us with more squalls and wind to about 25 knots. There was also another wind shift which pointed "Sapphire" to the North West while the waves continued from the West which makes for an uncomfortable roll-pitch combination that is hard to sleep through.

Our bouncing around lasted until about noon when the waves caught up with the wind and things calmed down. We lowered the dinghy and ran over to talk with "Fine Lion" and Night Hawk" and decided to head in to the Yacht Club for a beer and some food around 5pm.

We returned just at dusk and watched a amazing moon rise over Big Majors before watching an episode of NCIS.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere