Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

What's that in the sky?

24 April 2010 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
April 19th, 2010 Lynyard Cay, Abacos

Rain woke us up well before dawn and when the wind picked up to around 30 knots I got out of bed to check things out. We are anchored quite deep here and the bottom is weedy. It's the type of anchorage that it a little iffy. We ended up being fine. The rain and squalls continued until mid morning. While we were having coffee, a boat dragged by us. He had already re-anchored once and was dragging a second time.

It was cloudy and gloomy all day. We read most of the time. The high part of the day was a fish dinner.

We have been on board for 4 days and drastically need to get ashore for a walk.

April 20th , 2010 Lynyard, Cay to Marsh Harbor

We weighed anchor at about 7:30 and motored the three hours up to Marsh Harbor. After looking around for good spot to anchor for a few minutes we ended up right behind "Veranda" and next to "Savage Son."

Bob was moving "Savage Son" to the marina so I jumped aboard to assist with lines. Bill from "Veranda" and Greg from "My Destiny" also rode along. We stopped at the fuel dock and then proceeded to the slip where Bob had no difficulty docking stern in.

By the time I got back to the boat, Kathy was showered and ready to head to the store. We were both hungry so we dinghied over to Snappers and had lunch with Bob and Bev before hiking to the store.

We searched for the "New" grocery but after a couple of miles walking gave up and returned to Price Right for some groceries. We've been out of fresh vegetables for about a week.

After returning to the boat and putting things away, we dinghied over for a visit with "Solitaire" who we haven't seen for about 6 weeks. Bob called while we were there to call a get-together at the marina at 5:30, so we ran back to the boat to whip up some quick salsa and grab a bag of chips before heading that way.

We had a great time catching up with everyone and ate so much that when we returned to the boat around dark, we were too full to eat dinner.

April 21st, 2010 Marsh Harbor

It started raining before dawn and continued most of the day. Our goal was to get some laundry done but that didn't happen. Instead, we read and cooked all day. I got some bread going with the yeast Leta gave me and was shocked at the difference. Then I cut up the picnic ham that I'd picked up yesterday and got it in the freezer. The bone looked so good that after trimming as much as I could, I got out a bag of navy beans and made soup which simmered all day.

"Veranda" and "My Destiny" took off in the morning heading north and eventually back to the States. The both have obligations in May and will hang out in Manjack Cay until they get a weather window for travel.

Bob called in the afternoon to see if we wanted to join them, and their gests who had flown in from Texas, for the Jib Room's rib night. We said of course and planned on meeting at 6. A little later, Jim and Nancy called and asked us to come over before leaving for dinner for cocktails.

The ribs were excellent, expensive but great and the limbo guy put on a good show as usual. He's no spring chicken anymore but he can still get below the flaming bar at about 14 inches.


April 22nd, 2010 Marsh Harbor

At some point after coffee, we loaded up our laundry and dinghied over to the Marina where there are a few washers and dryers that we can use. I dropped Kathy off there and returned to the boat to pick things up and wash a few dishes.

Then I loaded up an empty propane tank and headed to shore to hike to the hardware store where we drop off tanks for filling. From there I walked to the Post Office to mail in my Jury Duty forms...I'll either be exempted or in contempt of court. Back at the boat I loaded up our water jugs and drove back to the marina where "Savage Son" has a slip and loaded up some water. We can't make water in the harbor so when we know someone that has a slip, we take advantage rather than paying for water.

I made two trips while Kathy finished our laundry and then it was back to "Sapphire" for lunch. A little later Kathy went shopping with Jim and Nancy and left me on board. We are going to grill out at the Marina tonight so I made some Boursin (sp???) for a snack to bring along. It is Leta's recipe and we really like it.

By the time the shoppers returned, it was almost time to head back over to the marina. Before we left, I sautéed some onions and peppers for the brats that Bob was going to grill.

We had a very nice dinner with Bob and Bev along with their visiting friends Steve and Judy. Just after sunset, I went out the dock to their slip to load up some more water. Bob, Steve and I were standing by the boat when we saw something bright in the sky to the north east. In a second it was obvious that it was some type of launch. It lit up the whole sky and we could easily see the various sections of the rocket fall off and drop into the ocean. It went right over us, picking up speed and altitude.

We bade our farewells and headed back to the boat where Kathy checked our email and I transferred our water. She also Googled the launch and found it was an unmanned prototype of the new "space plane" that may eventually replace the shuttles. (We have access on the boat but only at off hours) After some evening video we turned in for the day.

Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere