Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

05 May 2010 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
April 28th, 2010 Marsh Harbor to Tahaiti Beach

It was windy this morning so we stalled on our departure to let things calm down and finally got away about 11am. Our trip over to Hopetown and then south to Tahiti Beach was only about 8 miles so we sailed over with just our jib. The last three miles are shallow and we were approaching a full moon low tide, which made things worse. We saw one boat hard aground on this stretch and slowed even more. We saw five and ½ feet on numerous occasions and we draw 5' 4" so things were close. However, "Sapphire" never touched.

We anchored and had some lunch and then wandered over to Tahiti Beach where we wandered around most of the afternoon as the tide came in.

It's a little strange but our wifi service here is better than we've had since leaving the States months ago. We are thinking about visiting Abby and Jake in July, and Kathy spent some time checking out flights. We also finalized some changes to our boat insurance since we had the opportunity.

I made pizza for dinner to use up some crusts that were dated March 10th. They turned out just fine. We watched an episode of "CSI" and the last of "Madmen" before going to bed
April 23rd ---26th, 2010 Marsh Harbor, Abacos

There were storms forecast for Sunday and Monday we ended up staying for the weekend. We had afternoon get-togethers at the marina where "Savage Son" is slipped and did a lot of reading. Kathy cleaned and defrosted the refrigerator and I changed the oil and puttered around in the galley.

We made another trip to the grocery had lunch out a couple of times. I made a trip with Bob to pick up some motor oil and a few things from the marine store.

There was some rain in the area on Sunday but the real storm hit on Monday. Most of the boats in our area of the harbor were spaced appropriately, but on Sunday afternoon a small boat came in and anchored right next to us. When the first squall hit us on Monday morning with 45 knot winds, we swung about 5 feet in front of their bow. I started up the engine and kept "Sapphire" to the port away from them. For about 10 minutes the winds blew like crazy and we jockeyed to keep separated.

Finally when the squall passed, we hauled up the anchor and moved far enough away to be safe. It rained all day but the winds were not too bad. By evening we could see that the worst of the storm was passing to our south.

On Tuesday morning Chris Parker (the weather man we listen to on the SSB radio), was calling for a secondary front to pass us on Tuesday night so we decided to hang one more day.

We had a nice party at the marina and returned to listen to music are read.

Our new plan is to head over to Tahiti Beach on Wednesday and then return for Bev's party on Friday or Saturday.

There is a wonderful weather window this weekend for folks crossing to the US, but it's a few days too soon for us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere