05/16/2010, Columbia Island, Georgia
May 10th, 2010 St. Augustine, Fl to Cumberland Island, GA
We were off at 7 a.m. heading north up the Intracoastal with a our head sail up, giving us about a 2 knot boost which made up for the foul current we encountered.
The day was uneventful until we approached Nassau Sound where I got a little close to a green marker and ran us aground. It was dead low tide so all we had to do was wait but that was boring so we radioed the first north bound trawler asking for a wake. When it hit us we bounced off the bottom about three times and made some forward progress toward deeper water but came to rest again about 10 feet short. (bouncing off the hard sand bottom was not at all fun.)
A few minutes later some kids in a ski boat ran by us and once again their wake lifted us. We made about 5 feet of progress when the bow hit the edge of deep water and we the rest of us followed. We were on the road again. Nothing damaged but our pride.
Arriving at Cumberland Island about 4:30, we anchored and got busy preparing dinner for "Savage Son" and "Journey" who was still on their way. I had promised Bob fish tacos someplace back in the Bahamas and we were finally getting around to making them.
Kathy made some Spanish rice and as soon as "Journey" pulled in we had a great meal and a nice time with all.
In Florida where they drive to the water
05/16/2010, St. Augustine, Florida
May 9th, 2010 St. Augustine, Florida
We were up early having promised to meet "Savage Son" for breakfast around 8am. I loaded up the empty jerry cans and a bag of trash and headed unto the marina. After checking in the dinghy and paying our $10 fee. We were off. Bob and Bev and Brian had a loaner car and knew of a good breakfast spot over the bridge.
Our meal was excellent but the car had to go back so we didn't do much provisioning. Kathy and Bev were dropped off down town for a walk and some shopping while I hauled fuel, and ran over to talk to "Journey" who had picked some fabric treatment for us at West Marine yesterday. Bob and Brian returned to "Savage Son" to do some engine work.
After noon we all met in town for dinner, walking and shopping. We spent most of the afternoon sampling sangria from a number of establishments. It was a fine, relaxing Mother's Day.
We were in bed early for a 7 a.m. departure in the morning
Back in the USA-this is Savage Son on the way back.
05/11/2010, St. Augustine, Florida
May 6th....Crossing back to the States
Our plan all along had been to take the next weather window... usually but not always a week away. But after listening to the weather in the morning it sounded like the trade winds were going to insert themselves next week to their fullest extent, which means about 25 knots. Sailors in the Caribbean have learned to be OK with these winds but we aren't quite there yet.
The current window was closing as a cold front approached Florida on Saturday evening. The question is always ... should we stay a few days or go? We first made the decision to stay put for the day and stage tomorrow. But the combination of a forest fire directly opposite us.... sending smoke and ash, along with "Madcap's" decision to head up to
Great Sale Cay to stage during the afternoon, got us off our buts and on the road.
At first our goal was a cay about 20 miles north called Allen's Pensacola, but after enjoying a good sail and being passed by "Savage Son" flying their A-Sym Spinnaker, decided to continue on to Great Sale Cay, even though we'd be arriving after dark.
We all talked about the possibility of continuing on to Florida during the afternoon and in the evening as we passed Great Sale, made the decision to keep going.
There was an amazing line of thunder storms to our north all night filling the sky with constant lightening flashes. But to our good fortune, they all stayed there in a line heading east as we sailed west.
By morning we were in the Gulf stream with north winds on the nose... .but still going 9 knots. I wonder what we could have done not pounding into waves and wind. In the evening, with Cape Canaveral still on our port beam we worked our way out of the Stream and set a course for Fernandina.
The mornings weather still called for a front sweeping through southern Florida around supper time so we backed off and changed course to St. Augustine arriving around noon.
After checking in by phone, (we love the local boaters option) Kathy fired up the computer and we were back on line. We'll stay here for a couple of days and then head a little north.