Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

We're in Canada

21 July 2007 | Vidal Bay, Ontario
Mike
This morning I tried casting from the boat. We were in about 15 feet of water and I could see the tops of pickerel weeds but nothing seemed to be interested . After a nice breakfast and two pots of coffee we set out at about 8:15. As we mentioned yesterday, the area north of Drummond Island is a maze of islands. Our job this morning was finding our way out. Even with GPS, we kept one finger on the map as we passed one island after another looking for markers as we headed northeast toward open water. Once clear of the maze, we set a course for Meldrum Bay, 25 miles to the east. Sailing was out of the question with winds of 2 knots or less most of the morning. Clearing customs in Meldrum Bay consists of pulling into the marina and entering a room with a table one chair and a phone. There are no direction, so it made sense to pick up the phone. A customs lady began asking exactly the same questions that we've all had to answer at border crossings. After giving our MC numbers and other pertinent information I was finished. We really wanted to stay for awhile to check out their one store (I'm sure they had bait) but our bow pulpit was blocking the entry to a slip and a rather large fishing boat was waiting for us to leave.

We shoved off and began our search for an evening anchorage. The next bay to the east looked promising so we worked our way slowly through some shallow, boulder strewn water to Vidal Bay, a perfect spot with no sign of civilization for miles. I got the pole out again and cut a sliver of bacon fat to tip a 1/8th ounce jig. I had a few hits... small perch shaking my bait , but once again failed to catch dinner. We were entertained by a pair of loons and an osprey while grilling pork tenderloin for dinner.

Depending on the wind direction we will either go east to Gore Bay for bait and ice or north to Whalesback Channel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere