Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

On the Seneca River

29 August 2007 | Brewerton, NY
Mike Another beautiful day
August 28th .....Newark to Brewerton, NY

Sometime during the night I woke up because something was different. I put some shorts on and popped through the companion way to see a barge ghosting past us toward the lock. It was pushed by a tug that we had seen at the last lock...an Erie Canal tug. When I we got up at seven it was long gone. They must have operated the lock themselves. When the lock opened, I wandered down to chat with the lockmaster and found he had just radioed everyone traveling east to the effect that if we were going... the time was now. There was a crew of divers there that were going to inspect the hinges and they were going to be working most of the day.

After coffee, with some time on our hands we worked on a few chores that were on our mental lists.... I dug out the spreaders, some sand paper and some paint and went to work. In thirty minutes they had two coats of paint and a coat of clear coat...

Kathy pulled all our charts out of the shelf and ditched all those whose time had come. She also unearthed a few that would be important in a few days.

I washed the dinghy and attempted to find the leak in our floor but failed once again. Our dingy holds air but leaks water somewhere between the floor and the fabric. It's not life threatening but is a pain to have to bail all the time.

Our trip today was easy.. about 20 miles through about half cabins and half suburbs...We had our first "up lock" there are only two more that lift us ... but there is very little difference if you happen to be driving a boat. As we pull up we call the lockmaster and identify ourselves and our direction. In most cases they knew we were headed in their direction and had the lock prepared. When given a green light we pull in slowly and slide to the port side. When if feels right, I throw it in reverse and Kathy grabs a line as I bring the boat to a stop. I grab another line.... which hang from the sides of the lock and signal the lockmaster that we are ready for action.

Tomorrow we will leave early to cross Oneida Lake before the afternoon thunder showers. It is about 20 miles and shallow... waves tend to build in the afternoon. We are not worried about waves after the shallow waters of Lake Erie but will re-tie our masts before the winds pick up. Eight footers in 20 feet of water are different.

We are saddened that many of our good friends returned to work today...but we know in our hearts that it is best for the citizens of tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere