Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Getting water into the boat

20 October 2007 | Annapolis, Maryland
Mike and Kathy
Wednesday, October 17th

I contacted the company today to get the shipping numbers for the radio system for which we are waiting here in Spa Creek. After running the numbers through UPS tracking, We found that one package would come arrive on Thursday and the last on Friday. Weather permitting we are planning on leaving either Friday at noonish or Saturday am.

I continued the process of refinishing cockpit teak and Kathy continued polishing stainless.
After lunch we attempted to walk to West Marine which we knew to be just a couple of miles. Without a map and very little confidence, we turned back after about two miles in defeat. Checking on Mapquest on our return to the boat we were almost within sight of the strip mall in question before we quit. Since it was probably our last 80 degree day for a while we decided to wash and retreat our the sunbrella on our dodger. it had been showing some dirt and mildew... which happens with the lighter color, and needed some attention.

While things were drying we took the dingy to town. Kathy needed to purchase a card and I headed to Fawcett's for some Cetol...which they didn't have. Which means that there is definitely going to be another attempt at West Marine tomorrow.


Thursday October 18.

I am happy to report that we successfully walked to West Marine this morning. It was a little over 2 miles one way and hot. We picked up some Cetol that I needed to fining the cockpit and purchased a LED stern light. Since adding the davits our stern light has been somewhat covered by our dinghy when traveling and we needed to do something. I was out of 3m4200J, which has proven to be my bedding compound of choice, and picked up a couple of small tubes.

I finished the refinishing job when we returned and then after lunch, took off for town because the UPS tracking said that our package had been delivered. First though, we had to hike to the Post Office which is located a few blocks from the water front just beyond the Maryland State House.

We collected our new radio equipment from the Harbormaster's office and returned to the boat. Our last job...before relaxing with a bunch of new manuals and installation instructions, was to clean, grease, and replace the cockpit winches that had been removed for the refinishing work. I cleaned and greased everything and Kathy polished and waxed them before putting things back together.

We both spent the rest of the afternoon reading about our new toys and how they should be best installed.

....An unrelated point of information for those who have been here. The downtown harbor area in Annapolis was closed as of last Sunday night when the Power Boat Show ended. I overheard a conversation in Fawcett's that the whole place was going to be rebuilt during the winter months and that they hoped to have it finished by spring. Yesterday there was a barge with crane in Ego Alley, and about 50 surveyors in the immediate area with interesting looking laser equipment.


Friday, October 19th

A cloudy day-we don't see many of those since we left Michigan. Mike heated water for showers and dishes, took a shower and headed to town to pick up our last package and check on some things we need for installation of the new radio. I did dishes and cleaned the boat down below. Mike also got water on his trip. We have to find a dock that will allow us to get water and fill our four 5 gallon jugs, haul them back to the boat and dump them in. We were allowed to get water at the city docks in Ego Alley, but that has been closed since the boat shows.

We had a little rain this afternoon so Mike jumped out and scrubbed the decks with the fresh water. It is still 78 degrees, so he had a nice warm shower ...again. We read books for a while, went to town for ice and gasoline, and put our cleats back on in the cockpit. The cockpit looks great right now.

We are looking forward to traveling again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere