Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Pantego Creek

30 October 2007 | Belhaven, NC
Mike
Sunday, October 28 - Alligator River to Belhaven.

The wind came up at about 2am. We were up and set the anchor drag alarm on the GPS and went back to bed. The alarm went off at 4am and were up for good. The wind was at 25 knots gusting to thirty with about three foot waves. I don't think we actually dragged much at all, but we were not taking any chances. As soon as we could see well enough to avoid the crab pots that were sharing our anchorage, we were up and gone.

We motored to the end of the Alligator River and entered the Alligator - Pungo Canal which had one turn in 18 miles. Most of the terrain was cypress swamp with a few grassy marsh type areas. Today's trip was only about 35 miles and much of it reminded me on the dead stream swamp up by Houghton Lake. In fact, most of the area inland from Cape Hatteras seems to be virtually uninhabited. ...The canal took us to the Pungo River which we followed to our current anchorage off the town of Belhaven. There are 12 boats here this evening and most, if not all, will be gone in the morning. There is a Bayfield 36 next to us for the second night in a row but we haven't met them yet....it has been so windy the last two days that all trips in the dinghy mean getting wet.

Today I put on long pants for the third time since we left and, for a time this morning, had on two layers of fleece. The temperature got up to about 69 this afternoon, but it was cloudy and windy enough that it felt cool for the first time. The sunset was beautiful this evening.





Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere