Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Lots of nice homes along the way

01 November 2007 | Beaufort, NC
MIke
Oriental to Beaufort... October 31 (The real Happy Halloween)

We were really not in any hurry to leave today because the trip to Beaufort was only about 20 miles. Kathy did some computer work and I got the boat ready for departure. Finally, around 8:30 we pulled anchor and crossed the Neuse River. The trip was uneventful and we arrived at Town Creek without incident. I wanted to fuel up, so called the nearby marina and pulled up to the dock. When I radioed in, the lady said that she would turn on the pump...so, since there were no people around, I started filling up while Kathy filled our water tank. When we were done I walkup up to the office, paid and picked up a bag of ice before returning to the boat.

When I turned the key to start the engine... there was nothing. Oh oh. On the third try the engine barely rolled over ... but caught and started right up. If truth be known, for the last couple of months, the starter hadn't been turning over like it should.

Cielo pulled in about an hour later and when Kevin stopped by we discussed the started problem. Madcap arrived a little later but ... it was looking like work afternoon as opposed to something fun.

After getting the anchor down and eating left over shrimp for lunch.. darn, I tried to start the boat and this time it wouldn't even turn over. I checked the battery and it was fine... but I knew that batteries were sneaky so I put a load on and watched the rebound. It was fine. Just to make sure, I connected one of the house bank batteries which I knew to be good and when Kathy turned the key...nothing.

At this point I called Jim, my cousin, to run through my diagnosis with him. He recommended more electrical testing...and in the process, with Kathy turning the key, the engine started right up like is was supposed to. Unfortunately, I had done nothing. It almost had to be something in the ignition or the connection with the battery /solenoid.

After waiting for the engine to cool enough for me to work, (I have to lay on top of the engine to access the starter) I disconnected all the wires from the battery, cleaned everything, replaced one loop connector, and put things back together. When we turned the key it started right up. So....I hope that the problem is fixed. If not we have a spare starter and that will be the next project.

Tomorrow we'll go to town.

PS: Sam, I cut the fixing stuff to the bare bones. (Yeah. It really went on all afternoon...and Dad said he liked this house.)
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere