Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

The girls arrive

09 March 2008 | George Town
Mike
Feb. 29.... Georgetown

While Kathy was cleaning I went ashore for a few groceries that ware forgotten yesterday and to fill our jerry cans with water. The ride back, which is about a mile into the wind and waves was wet but not too bad.. We had made arrangements with a taxi driver to bring Sam and Erin from the airport to the "Peace and Plenty Hotel." So another trip to town was to be our evening entertainment.

The wind picked up through out the afternoon and was blowing at or above 20 knots by dark when it was time to leave to pick up the girls. Kathy decided to stay aboard when I headed out about sunset. The trip over wasn't too bad running with three feet. seas. It was too rough to dock at the Peace and Plenty so I went into Exuma Market dock and walked over.

At the Peace and Plenty, a happy hour was in progress with complimentary rum punch, chicken wings and meat balls. I made myself at home for an hour or so until the girls arrived and struck up a conversation with a young family who were anchored near us. Two of them were taking their dinghy back and they were going to hire the water taxi for the other two. I offered to share the cost with them to keep the girls a little dryer.

The three of us had a rum punch while the crew of "Paradise" went out to call the water taxi.

About 20 minutes later they returned to that the water taxi driver had gone home to bed so I volunteered to take back to the boats even though 5 people in the was going to be a problem.

We all walked back to the dinghy dock and got the luggage loaded into garbage bags before we set out across the harbor. We had to angle into three foot waves and during the crossing took on so much water that by the time we dropped off our passengers and motored over to Sapphire, we found ourselves sitting in a dinghy that was full of water. We were never in any danger and the water was warm but...things were wet. The girls phones and cameras were soaked as were all of Erin's clothes. Sam's were remarkably dry.

We laid things out as best we could but there was little hope for the electronics.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere