Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Exploring a new island

09 March 2008 | Thompson's Bay, Long Island
Mike
March 5th

After breakfast, we were underway to Thompson's Bay which was only abut 10 miles south. There were only two boats in the anchorage that we selected although there was room for 50. A little later the four of us took off in the dinghy to try to find the town. About a mile away there was a government dock where we beach the boat and took off on a cross island hike to the ocean. It was only about a mile but without the breeze that we were accustomed was very hot. The beach on the Atlantic side was empty and very nice but as usual, cluttered with junk. No one lives on this side to occasionally clean up the junk.

On our way back we stopped at a grocery a picked up a few things ... but without a list forgot a number of items that were needed. Back at the boat the girls sunned (which it seems is their main reason for being here) and read for awhile before head back out in the other direction to explore. We found Trefina's place, The Thompson Bay Club, and stopped for a beer. The place had a dining room, a small bar area and an enclosed, open-air dance hall. Trefina cooks authentic Bahamian food if you call in on VHF for reservations. We thought about staying but passed.

We have been out of beer for awhile and were trying to find a liquor store replenish our stores, but it wasn't going to happen here... at least not without renting a car. Back on the boat we picked up, read for a while and left for our third dinghy ride for the day. We had been told that somewhere in our bay there was a Tiki Bar that served food so we were off to find it. Cruising the shore line at dusk we found the place about a mile away ..."Parrots of the Caribbean"

The place was small but very nice... there was no indoor dining, just three tables on the deck and a bar with six stools. On the beach level there were two more tables that seemed an afterthought. While waiting for our meal we struck up a conversation with a guy at the bar who was a doctor from Pennsylvania who ended up being the owner. Besides the little restaurant there were a few cabins that he rented as well.

We had an enjoyable evening and found our way back to Sapphire without getting lost. The anchorage had filled up during the day and it is sometimes a challenge to pick our mast light from the 20 others in the bay.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere