Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

What a difference a day makes

13 June 2008 | Solomons, MD
Mike
June 12... Mobjack Bay, VA to Solomons Island, MD

What a difference a day makes. Today the water in the Chesapeake was perfectly flat most of the time and slightly rippled the rest of the time. We occasionally put out our head sail but never gained much lift. Our goal was to be Reedville but at some point in the morning Kathy and I discussed the idea of continuing on to Solomons. It would make for a long day but our plans are to stay there for a few days so we would have lots of time to recover.

About 15 minutes later Jim radioed wondering if we might entertain the thought of pushing on to the Solomons....which would make their trip into their home port of North Herrington Harbor on Friday much shorter. By the time we got anchors settled we had been on the water for a little over 13 hours and had covered about 80 miles. (almost all of which was into a 2 knot current)

We had eaten on the way in so before dark we dinghied over to say our good-byes even though we'll be seeing them in a few days.


June 13... Solomons Island, MD

We both slept in this morning and it was 10 am by the time we were finished with breakfast. Our goal for the day was laundry and so we sorted everything and loaded up the dinghy for a ride to shore. The Holiday Inn here has an attached marina and allows folks at anchor to dock their dinghies for $2 a day. When we were here in the fall and there were so many boats that the dinghy dock was always crowded and no one ever tracked us down to pay. Today they caught up with us on the second docking.

The laundromat is located in a little strip mall about a block away (it's actually about � mile) and very convenient. There is also a fish market, grocery, a bank and a few other businesses. We finished a little after noon and returned our clothes to the boat before another trip in to West Marine and lunch at a Chinese place. We made a few more stops and then returned to sit and read. (One of us made the bed with clean sheets and put laundry away before sitting and reading.)



Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere