Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

The SSCA Gam

23 September 2008 | Edgewater, MD
Mike
There were 3 islands where we anchored in the Rhode River. This is a picture of High Island, which has nearly washed away.


September 19th... Rhode River, MD


I worked on the wind bugger all day while Kathy dealt with computer/ printer/ driver/ installation... problems.

We got cleaned up in the afternoon and headed to shore for the first of the SSCA GAM activites which entailed ... mostly drinking wine. We met Mark and Julie of "Rachel" whom we saw in the Bahamas but never really met.

The wind bugger is working great but no electricity is getting to our batteries. There is an ancient controller (basically just a diode) that must be bad. I will probably just buy a controller and see if it works ... before taking it back to the store.




September 18th... Rhode River, MD

After coffee... I removed everything from both of our anchor lockers. There is enough stuff stashed in these lockers to outfit a third world navy... and it was time to get rid of some of it. One of our reasons for attending the SSCA Gam is to attempt to sell or give away some of our unwanted items: Kathy's old sewing machine, a printer that is in good working order, at least one anchor and some other small things. The anchor lockers however, gave up mostly junk.

After sorting, I had a good sized garbage bag to show for my efforts and moved on, without pause, to the WindBugger. We had hoped to add a wind generator this season but it's not going to happen. So...it was time to repair and use the old one or get rid of it.

Tearing it apart was not too big a deal... I'd done it before, and the electrical components looked fine. There were some magnets that needed to be re positioned and epoxied to the casing but after a good cleaning ... there might be hope. I cleaned everything and put the magnets back where they belonged and hoped for the best. We'll see tomorrow if the thing works.

We worked another crossword puzzle and then lowered the dinghy and took a ride around the anchorage before supper. The anchorage here is large there is easily enough room for 100 boats...currently there are about 25, none of whom we know.






September 17th.... Rhode River, MD


We left the anchorage about 8:30, saying good bye to Rick and Linda as we passed. The weather was great but the wind was on the nose for the whole trip north to the West River. We had some good sailing, but in truth, most of the time the motor was running. It was quite a hike from the Solomons to the West River and we didn't want to deal with this place in the dark... hence the motor.

In the Rhode River we found lots of room to anchor among the 15 boats that we found. It seems like a very nice place to spend a few days. Mostly trees... not too many "starter mansions."

We spent a pleasant evening working out a Times crossword puzzle and watching our chili simmer.

Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere