Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Our friends arrive

12 October 2008 | Annapolis, MD
Mike and Kathy



October 11th... Annapolis, MD


We had some bagels for breakfast before saying good bye to Jim and Beth. They were heading to Washington D.C. for a day or so before flying back to Halifax.

Our first job of the day was to install our rebuilt manual bulge pump which wasn't difficult but time consuming. We had a nice chat with Mike of "Valkyrie" ...a friend that we met last winter and keep bumping into as we travel. Then it was up the mast to install our new LED lights and repair the electrical connections to our anemometer.

After about 90 minutes I came down for some lunch and more parts. Then it was back up the mast for another work spell. I ran out of connectors so had to leave put things back without finishing what I wanted to do.

Later... I once again took the carburetor out of the outboard. I had spoken with a mechanic who had given me some ideas as to the source of the problem. Using two or three sizes of wire, I cleaned all the tiny ports. Although they seemed to be fine, there was one that may have been clogged.

When I put everything back together it seemed to run correctly but I didn't really give it a good test.

We listened to the MSU Spartans play football on WJR through the computer. They won handily-GO SPARTANS!

We also called the girls using Skype, and our niece Betsy answered the call. We talked to her, as well as Sam, Abby and Jake. We love being able to see the kids while we talk to them. They look pretty good.

We grilled some chicken for supper and fixed a salad with the last of our new salad dressing and watched a movie before bed.




October 10th... Annapolis, MD

Happy Birthday Becky!


After a breakfast of Rum Raisin pancakes and sausage, and a call back to my Doctor's office in Michigan, we were off to the Boat Show. It was a beautiful day and the town was busy everywhere. We made plans to meet for lunch at noon and went our separate ways.

As some of you are aware, our dinghy has had a few problems during the last year and although it is holding up well at present, our purpose at the boat show is to find a new one. We had done enough research that knew what we wanted but wanted look at some others as well. At the first place we stopped, we were met by a very nice young man from France who was there representing the firm who manufactures Apex inflatables. We had looked at them in the past but hadn't given them much consideration. During his spiel he mentioned that the shop in Annapolis had taken in a used inflatable two days before that was in perfect shape. (The previous owners had decided that they needed a bigger one.) The price he gave us seemed to be a little high for a used dinghy, but we kept it in mind as we continued our shopping.

The doctor's office called to say that my pills were ready to be picked at the Annapolis CVS, so we walked down there during the afternoon. We also found our friends John and Barbara who were at the show presenting and signing John's book Sailing Grace.
They were also had some prescriptions for us that our mutual friends Colleen and Dan had sent alone for us to keep on the boat. We spent an afternoon on their dock while in Michigan last summer and Colleen had volunteered to put the list of appropriate drugs together and get them to us.


By lunch time our decision was down to the 10 foot AB Lite and the used 10 foot Apex with bow locker and double floor. We were back and forth most of the afternoon making visits to both vendors. Finally the "Boss" for the Apex group showed up and asked us to make an offer. We did, he countered with an increase of $50 and we had a deal.

We searched the crowds all day for our friends Lyn and Tim, as well as Tom and Carol who have "Startin' Monday, another Bayfield 40. We were disappointed not to spot them all day. We did see many other boaters we have met over the years.

We have no idea if it was the right decision... only time will tell, but we ended up spending just about half of what we were expecting.

We went back to the boat to unload our loot and then met Jim, Beth, Sandy, Steve and about 20 other cruisers at the pub. Then it was back to the Boatyard for a late dinner. We had a great time. By the time we got back to the boat we were all about whipped and shortly went to bed.



October 9th... Annapolis, MD

This morning after coffee we went to shore and drove to the Pennsylvania Dutch Market to see if we could purchase any frozen meat at their butcher shop. We were able to pick up a few frozen steaks but that was all they had left. We did buy quite a few things there including ... flank steaks, kielbasa, pork chops, hamburger, link sausage, and ring bologna. There was a separate shop that sold chicken and we rounded out our shopping there.

On our way back we stopped at Enterprise to return our car. They ran us back to the dinghy and we were home for lunch.

It took us about an hour to cut and vacuum pack all our meat and then to find a place I our freezer. We were able to freeze about half of it today and will do the other half tomorrow.

We were expecting Jim and Beth sometime in the mid afternoon so I had time to rebuild our manual bilge pump with the kit that we received in the mail yesterday. Kathy continued her job of finding places for the last few things in our spare stateroom.

About the time I finished, Beth called and I went to shore and gathered up our guests.

After catching up with them for awhile, we went ashore in Eastport (the south bank of Spa Creek) to met Steve and Sandy from "Princess" who are mutual friends. On our way to the Pub we ran into another couple that Jim and Beth knew. When Steve and Sandy arrived we sat outside at a picnic table and had a nice chat over beers. One of the things that came up was the fact that while in Deltaville, I had been bitten by a tick. I assume that while lying in the grass working on the bottom of the keel, I was an easy prey. Jim and Beth had both had Lyme disease and Steve and Sandy had quite a bit of knowledge as well. Anyway, it was decided that I begin immediately on a course of treatment to head off any possible problems in that regard.

At around 6:00 we headed back to the boat for dinner while Steve and Sandy took off to track down some other friends who had just arrived in town.

The ribs and salad were excellent... and we chatted until it was time for bed.



October 8th... Annapolis, MD


Our first job today was to figure out how to wire in our XM receiver when I get around to installing our new radio. So it was off to Best Buy to see what could be done. The mobile radio section was empty and the kid there was helpful. We found out that our receiver was not compatible with our new system and although they had the proper receiver they did not have the proper connection cable. On his computer he checked out Circuit City and found that they had both items in stock....we were on our way again.

At Circuit City we found what we needed and were out of there in a flash.

We returned to have some lunch and then I took the carburetor off the outboard again to see if I could fix the idling problem. For the second or third time I took the carburetor off and cleaned it thoroughly.

After it was back together we went to the Harbormaster's office. Kathy ran in while I filled up our water containers. Both of the items we were expecting were there which means more projects to finish.

Then it was time to put together tomorrow night's dinner. We wanted to get as much done ahead of time so we could enjoy our company instead of cooking. Kathy put together the salad dressing and I got the rub on our ribs and got them in the oven to slow cook. I also made the sauce but had to work had to find space in our refrigerator for it.

By then it was time to clean up and head back to shore for a dinner engagement with Nancy, Jim, Jay, Di, Kate... and others. We met at Kate's house for snacks and then to a Chinese Restaurant where we had a wonderful meal.

As we were getting into the dinghy to head to Kate's house, we heard someone on shore calling "Sapphire". We dinghied over to find Tim and Lyn (more Canadians) from "Mutual Affair", another Bayfield 40. We chatted with them for a while and agreed that we should get together at the boat show some how. It was good to see them.

We got back to the boat in time to watch an installment of CSI before going to bed.



October, 7th... Annapolis, MD


Our internet connection here is sketchy at best. It would seem that being in the heart of a state capitol there would be wi-fi everywhere. Usually early in the morning is the best time to get online, but today there was nothing.

After waking up with a cup of coffee ... which is our normal routine, I began the process of finishing our new boarding step. It is used to board the boat from a dinghy. We had a nice one that floated away in a storm in the Bahamas last winter and we've been making do without. Anyway, while at Dilts', Jack and I made a step out of two layers of starboard and it is drilled to accept the line from which it would hang. This morning I attached the line to the step and added some snaps to attach it to the boat. It took a while to get all the lengths perfect but ended up being a nice addition.

Next, I started on the outboard which is not idling. I took off the carburetor and cleaned the inside. There was a little crud, and I was hopeful, but when I got it back together there was no change.

Kathy spent the morning cleaning and stowing the items that we've been purchasing which is a never ending job as we seem to be buying a dinghy full of stuff every day. Before noon we were off to the car and another load. Our first stop was Bacons where we purchased a mast ladder that is hauled where our main sail attaches. Then we headed to the Grocery store for another round of shopping.

By the time we got back and things put away, I didn't feel like going up the mast which had been my plan. We purchased new lights for our salon and it seemed like an easier job to install them than hang out 55 feet in the air.

It was dinner time by the time I finished. Kathy made a tasty cauliflower / Greek olive dish that we saw in one of Debbie's cookbooks last weekend. I pan fried some fish to round out another very nice meal.




Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere