Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Aground in Fresh Creek

29 December 2008 | 24 43.49'N:77 47.26'W
Mike
December 29th. Morgan's Bluff to Fresh Creek, Andros, Bahamas

We left Morgan's Bluff with about 15 knots of wind form the southeast. We could sail but were pointing so high that the correct series of waves stopped us dead in the water. So we left the engine on, idling along to keep our momentum up into the three foot seas.

I had three lines out but failed to even get a bite. Barry and Susan had about 4 strikes and landed one Mahi. I don't think we were doing anything different. There is a "no fish zone" all along the banks here, but I thought we were out far enough to be legal. As we neared Fresh Creek a helicopter from the fish police buzzed us but after looking at the map and our track on the GPS, we had never been within a half mile of the protected area.

I led the way into Fresh Creek which is narrow and shallow. We called the marina but there was no answer. We did get a response from Lucke, whom we had met a few day's ago in Morgan's Bluff. He is moored here and knows his way around. I made a spin outside the marina while Kathy called them on the phone. The lady said to just park anywhere. Lucke had told us of a government dock where we could spend the night a little further up the Creek so we continued in to check it out. We passed Lucke's catamaran and another when a lady popped up and said "Go State" in response to our Michigan State Flag flying below our Bahamian courtesy flag. As I chatted with her we went aground. According to the chart we were in 7 feet of water but our sounder said 3.5. On the starboard side of the boat there appeared to be about 6 feet of water, but on the port side there was about 3 feet. We couldn't move. There was no kedging to be done because the bottom is rock covered with an inch of sand. There wasn't enough wind to raise a sail to heel us a little either.

With low tide an hour away we didn't have any choice but to stay where we were until there was enough water to float us off. Lucke came over in his dinghy and we went in to look at the government dock. There was a lot of water, but no cleats to tie to. Back onboard, I lowered the dinghy and dropped the motor in place with Kathy's help. Then I drove up to chat with "Night Hawk" and "Perseverance II" to tell them that we were just going to sit until the tide changed.

By then it was about low tide. We hadn't eaten much today and we had the time, so I made beef stew with dumplings which turned out quite well even though I used canned beef. I went over to the government dock to attach some lines to rocks, pipes cemented into the ground and old rerod protruding from the crumbling wall while Kathy talked to Abby, Jake and Sam.

Fur hours later, as I was preparing to run over to pick up Tom and Barry help us tie to the wall, Lucke came over and pushed us off with his dinghy. He deposited his wife Karen on the wall and then prepared to use his dinghy as a tug pushing us sideways if necessary. We were with the current which is usually not the thing to do but in this case there was no choice. On the first attempt we ended up too far from the wall and had to come around again. We went a little further up stream on the second attempt and slid slowly next to the other boats on the wall until we reached our spot and then tucked in behind a little power boat. I put the engine in reverse at about 1500 rpms to stop us while Kathy and Karen secured the lines. We were there. We thanked Henry and Karen (Lucke is their last name) who invited us over when we were properly tied and fendered.

As the sun set on Fresh Creek, we dinghied over to the marina to chat with our friends there and then on to "Phoenix" to drop off a pint of maple syrup to Henry and Karen for their assistance. We stayed for an hour or so to chat. They used to have a place in Michigan up by Kalkaska.

By the time we returned to the boat it was time for an episode of "House" and then to bed. Tomorrow we'll be crossing the Tongue of the Ocean and about 30 miles of the Great Bahama Banks to get over to the Exumas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere