Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Winds in George Town

21 January 2009
Mike & Kathy
January 21st. Georgetown, Exumas

The wind calmed down last night about dinner time but picked up with a vengeance around midnight. Our anchor was fine but I got up the check the swing. We were way too close to another boat. In the morning we had breakfast even though the pans were sliding around the stove.

I got on the harbor net and asked about where to find the fittings I needed to repair our water leak. There was one response that wasn't too helpful and then Craig on "Tilt" called to say that he had a part that may work. Unfortunately they were at Monument Beach across the harbor. I decided to make the two mile trip anyway and took off in the dinghy. After about 200 yards I turned around . the dinghy was about half full by that time. Retreating to the boat to bail and make a call to "Tilt" saying that I changed my mind, I was moved on to plan B.

After bailing and loading up with trash and empty water containers, I was off again. and I got wet again but in about 100 yards I was in calmer water. I dropped off the trash and went under the bridge to Lake Victoria and the dinghy dock. There was no one at the water spigot so I filled up the containers that I had and then moved down the dock a little and tied up.

I walked down the dinghy dock out to the street next to the Exuma Market. There were cars parked everywhere so I squeezed between a couple out to the street. I walked behind the bed of a pickup filled with PVC pipe and boxes of fittings. The driver was at the wheel so I retraced my steps and ask him, if by chance, he was a plumber. He was.

I explained what I needed and asked if I could find such a thing on his island. He thought for a minutes and asked if it would be all right to build it out of three separate parts. it was. So he said that the hardware department of the Lumber Yard had the components that I needed. Since he wasn't really doing anything at the time he offered to drive me if I gave him some gas money. We were off in a flash.

It was about a three mile trip and as we drove along on the wrong side of the road he ask me if I had been able to see the inaugural address of our new President. I told him that I had seen part of it at the Laundry, but not the whole speech. I asked him what he thought and after a pause of about 15 seconds replied that he thought that there was so much "hope and kind feelings" for our new president beyond the boarders of the US, that he was sure that things would be better.

We stopped at the Lumber Yard and Hattie followed me in and led the way to the correct isle. In about 5 minutes we sifted through the misc. parts and found what we needed. They cost $2.87. He dropped me off at the dinghy dock and I made my way slowly back to the boa in some rather large seas.

"Night Hawk" was leaving as I returned and "Fine Lion" was long gone so we got organized to weigh anchor to cross back over to the Stocking Island side of the harbor. In 26 knots getting the anchor up in a really congested anchorage is tougher that it should be.Kathy pulled us ahead to take the strain off the windlass and we got the rode in and anchor up in a few minutes. When I got back to the cockpit Kathy told me that the engine had stalled twice. which never happens. She recovered both times in the wind and seas and we were on our way.

At some point during this procedure, Pam on "Deharlo" called .. Kathy told her that we couldn't talk at the moment so when we got anchored off Volleyball Beach, I returned the call and made a bridge date for 1:30. I played well and won the on points. I met Kathy, Steve, Kim and a bunch of Canadians at the Chat and Chill. We sat around for an hour our so and then went back to "Sapphire" to listen to the Spartans lose to Northwestern.. Kathy was not happy

We watched an episode of "Cold Case" and I went to bed. Kathy .. still not happy, watched a Bridget Jones movie before calling it a day.

I, Kathy, just want to say that I am glad that we did not have company this last week. We have had about 3 nice days, but lots of wind and clouds. Hope for better weather for guests.

January, 20th. Georgetown, Exumas

Another windy day, but having crossed the harbor yesterday we're well protected. We wasted some time this morning as usual. I worked to attempt to get online from the boat and had to uninstall and then reinstall some software, but never did get ourselves online. Steve came over and helped for a while but the fault seems to be in the signal not our receiver.

We had an early lunch and then hiked to the Laundromat with a couple of loads. President O'Bama was on TV with his inaugural address and I listen for awhile and then took off to haul a load of water. Kathy got to watch all of it while doing laundry. It's kind of refreshing to have a new president.and clean clothes.

When I was finished I returned to help Kathy carry clean clothes. While she went to the store to purchase some frozen meat, I loaded up another 25 gallons of water which should more that top off our tank and we returned to the boat. If our plans work out with the weather, we will be heading to some remote areas for a few weeks. No phone, no internet (except through the SSB radio), no place to get water (except we are traveling with "Fine Lion" who has a water maker and said they would be happy to share), no grocery stores,etc. Looks like we may have to go hunting and eat lobster and fish!

I took the dinghy over to "Perseverance II" to help Tom rig up a hand line for fishing and hung out there for a while. After finishing up there, I came back to check out our water leak. I removed the hose clamps and then the hose barb that screws into the back side of our heat exchanger. It was pitted and corroded enough that there were 3 small holes. I took some dimensions and then painted on a layer of JB Weld before replacing everything. My repair will probably be fine for months, but my job for tomorrow will be to attempt to find a new one.

We marinated a pork loin which we had with a baked sweet potato, broccoli, and a salad, listened to Illinois beat Ohio State and called it a day.

January, 20th. Georgetown, Exumas

Another windy day, but having crossed the harbor yesterday we're well protected. We wasted some time this morning as usual. I worked to attempt to get online from the boat and had to uninstall and then reinstall some software, but never did get ourselves online. Steve came over and helped for a while but the fault seems to be in the signal not our receiver.

We had an early lunch and then hiked to the Laundromat with a couple of loads. President O'Bama was on TV with his inaugural address and I listen for awhile and then took off to haul a load of water. Kathy got to watch all of it while doing laundry. It's kind of refreshing to have a new president.and clean clothes.

When I was finished I returned to help Kathy carry clean clothes. While she went to the store to purchase some frozen meat, I loaded up another 25 gallons of water which should more that top off our tank and we returned to the boat. If our plans work out with the weather, we will be heading to some remote areas for a few weeks. No phone, no internet (except through the SSB radio), no place to get water (except we are traveling with "Fine Lion" who has a water maker and said they would be happy to share), no grocery stores,etc. Looks like we may have to go hunting and eat lobster and fish!

I took the dinghy over to "Perseverance II" to help Tom rig up a hand line for fishing and hung out there for a while. After finishing up there, I came back to check out our water leak. I removed the hose clamps and then the hose barb that screws into the back side of our heat exchanger. It was pitted and corroded enough that there were 3 small holes. I took some dimensions and then painted on a layer of JB Weld before replacing everything. My repair will probably be fine for months, but my job for tomorrow will be to attempt to find a new one.

We marinated a pork loin which we had with a baked sweet potato, broccoli, and a salad, listened to Illinois beat Ohio State and called it a day.

January 19th, 200- Georgetown, Exumas

This morning I was up at 6:23 to listen to Chris Parker's weather forecast as usual.The forecast hadn't changed much since Saturday and was still calling for West winds of 25k starting tonight. We knew that a move from Stocking Island across the harbor to Kidd Cove was going to be on the agenda to avoid three miles of fetch. Before our coffee was finished we got a call from "Night Hawk" saying that we'd better get a move on . they were already there and the anchorage was filling up fast.

We weighed anchor and swung by "Fine Lion" to get them going before motoring across Elizabeth Harbor for some protection. We found a spot to anchor and finished our coffee watching many of the boats follow our move. For those of you who have never had the opportunity of being here..Stocking Island is a barrier island protecting Elizabeth Harbor and Georgetown from the dominate Easterlies that are called the Trades or Trade Winds at this latitude. In weird situations, or when strong fronts come this far south, the winds sometimes come from the West in the process of clocking. Most of the cursiers here anchor in the lea of Stocking Island off one of about three different beaches. But they are open to west and north winds. We would have been fine where we were but would have been rocking and rolling for about 48 hours with little hope of getting off the boat. It just made sense to head across the harbor and anchor with some west and northwest protection.

After getting settled and a second pot of coffee, we headed to town to run some errands. Our first stop was to purchase our regatta tee shirts and then on to the "Top to Bottom" which has a lot of stuff. hardware, fishing stuff, housewares, all crammed into a shed about the size of a one car garage. I purchased a new fishing point for my spear and then we walked to the computer caf� to find that there were too many people for the band width. I bought $20 worth of cell phone time and then headed back into town looking for a phone booth to call the bank in Carson City. The phone booths didn't work so we walked the half mile back to the Computer Caf� and eventually got on line checking our email and adding some photos to our blog.

Before we left we called bank on his, Julius', phone for fifteen cents, and got things fixed there hopefully.

Then it was back to the dinghy dock and over to the fuel dock, a trip of about 50 yards. Kathy stayed with the dinghy while I hiked up to the Shell station with two diesel cans. Then, after stowing them on the dinghy, I returned to fill two gasoline cans as well.

With the dinghy full, it was back to "Sapphire" to offload.

We had a late lunch and read during the afternoon. At 4:00, we met on "Fine Lion" to look at weather for the upcoming week as well as charts, currents, etc.

The six of us put together a plan for roughly the next month . heading from here when the weather clears either on Wednesday or Thursday and fishing our way over to the north end of Long Island. Then we hope to head out in the Ocean on the eastern side to Clarence Town or Little Harbor. From there we will set out for the Acklins Island group and hope to spend at least a week in the bight before sailing east to the Ragged Islands and then back north through the Jumentos to our point of origin here in the Exumas. We are planning on three weeks which gives us about a weeks worth of weather error.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere