Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

On the move again....

11 February 2009
Mike
Thompson's Bay to Bain's Bluff

We left Thompson's Bay around noon and sailed north in 20 knots of wind, averaging between 6 and 7 knots with our jib. After only about 10 miles, we stopped at Bain's Bluff in Alligator Bay for a little protection from the east.

After getting the boat secured for the evening, we took the dinghy to the little settlement of Simms and wandered around a little before stopping at the "Blue Chip" which is the only restaurant in town. We found Steve and Kim digging to a plate of cracked conch. Neither of us was hungry so we ordered a beer and watched them eat.

After returning to the boat we read in the cockpit and watched a great sunset before heating up some leftovers for dinner.

The lack of wind was a little weird this evening. For the first time in almost three weeks the constant drone of wind in the rigging was absent.

.As an aside. The Thompson's Bay / Salt Pond area has become much more cruiser friendly. The opening of Long Island Breeze has provided laundry facilities, showers, and offers a drop off service for propane. For the first time there is a reasonable dinghy dock in Salt Pond in all but west winds.

There is free wireless service at Club Thompson Bay, Island Breeze, and will be coming soon to Parrots.

Michael at Island Breeze operates a daily VHF net with good weather, headline news and an open mike for questions and answers. He and Jackie bend over backwards to make life easier for those of us at anchor in the harbor. Mike ran us to the bank the first day we were here. a trip of about 12 miles and set up a taxi service from Thompson's Bay to Salt Pond when it was too windy to travel by dinghy.

There are two grocery stores that are well stocked and four restaurants within either walking or dinghy distance. Fox's Auto operates a car rental service and is happy to pick up cruisers at the beach. There is a marine store that has most of the basic cruising needs.

During our 12 day stay we found everyone to be extremely friendly and helpful.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere