Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

05 May 2009 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
Mike
May 3rd ... Marsh Harbor, Abacos

The weather here has been wonderful. After some coffee, I removed the grey water sump from below decks and began the process of disassembly. It is a simple Par diaphragm pump and I have lots of spare parts so I wasn't too worried. When I got everything apart the problem was evident...hair. There is a small filter that is supposed to catch things but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

With the hair removed and everything cleaned up, I reassembled and got everything back in place and pumped out the bladder that holds the grey water from the shower.

The water heater had been pressurized all night and when I checked for the leak that I had seen yesterday.... it was gone. I'll continue to check but for now it looks like our patch job is holding.

Both of our radios have the capacity to automatically send our latitude and longitude in a distress call if they are hooked up to our GPS. I decided to spend the afternoon attempting to do just that.

The directions on the radios seemed to agree, but the schematic that came with the GPS said something different. I decided to follow the directions on the radio and spliced the appropriate wire to the Nav station.

When I turned on the GPS to test the system.... it didn't do anything. Our GPS is mounted on the mizzen mast and when I ran the wire down through the mast I ended up with the end of the wire in the storage area behind our engine where it needed to be connected with a power supply and the input from the GPS antenna. It was a miserable place to try to make connections correctly but eventually it worked. In the process of tracing wire to find the correct ones to run to the radio, I must have broken one of the many splices.

After tracing wire in vain for a couple of hours I decided to quit for the day and remove the wire from the mast tomorrow and re wire the whole mess ...properly. It has always bothered me knowing that those improper connections were there.

We ran over to "Fine Lion" to chat with Steve for awhile and then returned to eat our Stone Crab Claws for dinner. Later we watched "The Bucket List" which Kathy had purchased in the DVD store that sells illegal copies (well, maybe it's legal here-or maybe it's just a "suggestion" that one not copy movies and sell them).
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere