Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

28 May 2009 | Fisher's Bay, Great Guana Cay
Mike
May 24th Fisher Bay, Great Guana Cay

After coffee and a big breakfast, I took the dinghy to shore and wandered around until I found a place that sold ice. With that chore accomplished, half of my jobs for the day were finished. My other task was to make conch salad for either lunch or dinner.

On Sundays Nippers has a Pig Roast and although we weren't particularly interested in the pork, it does attract lots of people. Nippers is on the ocean side of this Great Guana Cay, and is a multi level bar with two pools and miles of perfect beach. Actually there are about 5 bars and I counted 8 bartenders behind the largest.

The entertainment today was a "The Limbo King" from Nassau who was going to perform at around 4pm so we didn't want to get there too early.

We left the boat abound 12:30 and left the dinghies on the beach. Then we walked the west side of the island around to Orchid Bay Marina, a distance of about a mile. We had a bag of books that we needed to drop off at Pirate's Cove which is an internet café, ice cream shop, laundry, and tee shirt shop. This year they've added a little tiki bar just off the street.

"Buck a Book" is a charity that a couple in Marsh Harbour operates to generate money to save the wild horses of Abaco. There are 8 left and they are the last of a Spanish Breed that either swam ashore or were left here a few hundred years ago. Anyway we had ten or 12 books that needed a new home and we dropped them off.

We felt in need of a little more walking, so we walked about a mile to the Orchid Bay Marina to check it our. It was very nice-lots of beautiful flowers. Then we head back to Pirate's Cover where we sat at their Tiki bar and had a Kalik watching droves of people turn the corner in front of us heading up the hill to Nippers. The sky was grey and threatened of rain, but that didn't seem to affect anyone. They came in all shapes, sizes and ages, dressed (or not dressed) in every imaginable fashion.

Eventually we followed the mob up the backside of the dune check things out. We walked on the ocean beach and tried to wait for the "Limbo King", but it started to rain hard so we headed back down the hill and ended up at Grabbers to listen to the band again. We were back on the boat before dark.

Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere