05/30/2009, Manjack Cay
Okay, we are leaving here today so this probably will be our last entry until we get back to the states.
05/30/2009, Manjack Cay
May 29th... Manjack Cay, Abacos
We had a squall in morning but the worst part was a few miles to the north. Then it cleared up and was nice for a while. Steve, Kim and I took off to find some conch and were successful. It took us a while to get them cleaned and then we returned to watch more squalls roll past.
We spent most of the afternoon reading. I did crack some of the conch for dinner which was excellent.
May 28th... Manjack Cay
05/28/2009, Manjack Cay
According to Chris Parker, the unsettled weather will move out of this area sometime around next Tuesday. Until then we will have a mix of sun and squalls. Our plan is to work our way up to the very northern Bahamas and head back to the States from there.
After coffee Kathy worked on posting the blog while I puttered and read. We loaded up the dinghy with snorkeling gear and headed over to the ocean. On the way we found some conch and stopped at a beach for some palm fronds.
We motored out to the reef which was a mile or so from shore. The snorkeling was excellent. I missed a nice grouper and saw lots of nice fish. We were both ready for lunch so didn't stay too long.
On the other side of the cut there was quite a bit of wind. We got wet getting back to the boat. After rinsing off and eating a conch salad for lunch, we spent the afternoon reading. The wind died down and the evening was very pleasant.
May 27th.... Green Turtle to Manjack Cay
This could be our last internet access for a while.
I really didn't get any sleep after the storm and when 6:30 rolled around, listend to the weather. We made some coffee and I decided to go talk to Steve and Kim about last night's excitement. When I stepped form the boat to the dinghy, it was full of water. Actually I measured. There was 9 inches of water... and it was fresh water. Given that the tubes drain some surface into the dinghy, we mush have had between 7 and 8 inches of rain during the night. Wow.
Steve was still in bed but Kim related their story. After breakfast, Steve came over and gave us the play by play again... in true form.
We needed ice and so we decided to go into Pineapples, get ice and some lunch. The conch salad stand was open, so were in luck. Back on the boat we weighed anchor and rolled out a sail for our 4 mile trek north to Manjack Cay.
There were five or six boats in Manjack but the anchorage is huge so we searched for an area of sand and dropped anchor. We ended up being too close to "Fine Lion" and if it had been another boat we would have moved, but I yelled to Steve and we ended up staying put. I did run out another 20 feet of rode to give a little more separation.
I was a beautiful afternoon, hot and not much breeze, but comfortable in the shade. We read, checked the internet, and generally wasted some time. We were thinking about going for a dinghy ride when Steve yelled over and pointed to the NW. Shit... black sky again, heading our way. His radar showed rain 12 miles away. Everything to the north of use grew steadily darker but there didn't seem to be much lightning.
When the squall hit we had wind of about 25 knots but very little rain. Eventually it rained, hard at times, but nothing like last night's storm. After about an hour of watching our land marks and the GPS the wind died and the storm moved south.
We had a nice dinner of beef and noodles, (We are trying to eat everything we have in cans) and then watched and episode of "Cold Case" before checking the sky and going to bed. I'd been up for 36 hours and it didn't take me long to crash.