Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

07 June 2009 | Grand Cay, Bahamas
Mike
May 31... Manjack Cay to Spanish Cay

We left Manjack about 9am headed up to Spanish to top off our fuel tanks. We're getting far enough away from civilization that gas stations are rare. We slipped between the squalls most of the way but did run into one that we couldn't dodge. It was a downpour with absolutely no visibility for about 15 minutes. No wind but lots of rain. We anchored off the marina and waited a couple of hours for the next round of storms to pass us by.

Later we ran into the marina for 6 gallons of diesel and some ice. It seems like a nice place. As we move north, most of the marinas cater to fisherman who zip over from Florida for a few days.

We had planned on moving a little more to the north but by the time we returned from the Marina it was too late so we settled in for the night.


June 1... Spanish Cay to Grand Cay

We were up early and left the anchorage at Spanish around 7:30. There was no wind so we motored north and west most of the morning. At some point we felt a little wind on our beam and rolled out the jib. We couldn't really sail, but it did give us a lift of about a half a knot. Later, as it picked up we did much better.... but it remained a motor sailing day.

We arrived at Grand Cay at about 3:30. It is right next door to Walker's Cay which is famous for fishing and fishing shows. Walker's has been closed due to hurricane damage for the last four years and most of the fishing folks have migrated to Grand. We headed in to replenish the diesel that we had used today and found an interesting little village centered on Rosie's Store, Marina, Cabins, Restaurant, and Bar.

There were three docks with mostly sport fishing boats tied to them. There was no diesel until tomorrow so our take-off will be delayed.

We ran over to "Fine lion" to pick up some chicken from their freezer that we wanted to get fried up for our trip. We chatted for a while and then returned to cook some pasta and sauce... and parboil our chicken.

We watched some video and went to bed reasonably early.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere