Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

Historic Jamestown

04 July 2009 | Yorktown, VA
Mike
July 2nd Yorktown, VA

The York River narrows here to about a mile. From our mooring near the south shore we can see out across the Chesapeake to the east and up the York River to the west. The fetch is about 30 miles in one direction and 12 in the other. It would not be a good place to be in any kind of weather but the forecast continues to be favorable so we're happy here.

After a gook breakfast, we headed into the marina to tie up the dinghy and struck up a conversation with some Bayfield owners. Then we jumped on the free Yorktown Trolley to the Battlefield visitor center. We watched the requisite movie and then went with guide in to Yorktown to tour the old buildings and listen to his stories. He actually was very good.

Then we returned to the Visitor's Center and caught a free shuttle to Williamsburg about 10 miles down the road. We changed busses there and continued another 10 miles to Historic Jamestown where we saw another movie and joined an interpreter who wandered around the site giving his perspective from 1607. He was a retired trial lawyer from Richmond and his presentation was in the language of the day with a perfect British accent.

When we finished, we watched the dig for a while and then walked through the building that houses the artifacts found there.

We decided we did not have time to visit the Jamestown Settlement, which is a replica of Jamestown, and that it was time to take the shuttle system back to Yorktown. By now it was 4:00 pm and we hadn't eaten anything since breakfast so we stopped at a Pub on the waterfront in Yorktown for a burger and a beer.

Back at the boat we read until dark and then watched some video....there really wasn't any reason to eat supper.



Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere