Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

The beach on the Yorktown River

08 July 2009 | Yorktown to Mobjack Bay to Deltaville, VA
Mike
July 7th... East River to Deltaville, VA

We were up and ready to go a little before 8 and headed out the mouth of the East River into Mobjack Bay. There was a little west wind so we got the sails up and in an hour made the turn north around New Point Comfort. Our wind died, but was still helping some so we left the sails up and motor sailed up to Wolf Trap Light where there were a few fisherman as is normally the case around lighthouses.

By then the sails were flogging so we took them down and gave up on sailing. We following the high tide north and were getting a nice rush from the current all morning. At about noon we made the turn into the mouth of the Piankatank River and headed NW to the entrance to Jackson Creek which is quite interesting. There are red and green daymarks about 400 yards from shore and the channel is well marked heading directly toward a cottage on shore. We continue on this heading until our bow sprit is almost over the beach and then make a 90 degree turn to the port for another ΒΌ mile run into Jackson Creek. The channel is narrow all the way in and there is little margin for error.

We anchored off the marina and went to work lowering the dinghy and then the outboard. Kathy went to work cleaning and waxing the shower while I went ashore to take a walk and to check in with the Boatyard and to let them know that we would be ready for haul-out tomorrow.

Later we took the dinghy ride exploring both arms of Jackson Creek, the entire distance of which is only about two miles. The homes are sensible with very few of the starter mansions that we see so often on the waterfront. Everyone has at least two boats tied up and there are at least 50 work boats.

On our return, we hauled the dinghy on the foredeck for our stay on the hard. It is way too heavy. We ended up using the windlass to haul it up but just moving it in place was a chore. We must be carrying some extra ballast somewhere. I'll have to check it out at some point in the next week.

Our freezer needs to be empty in a week so tonight's menu was cracked conch. We used up another can of green beans and Kathy made a nice salad which rounded out a nice meal.


July 6th Yorktown VA, to Mobjack Bay

It rained on and off through the night was still gray and ugly in the morning. The forecast called for clearing in the afternoon. We really needed to move on but didn't really have any good destinations in mind. Our haul out was scheduled for Friday and Deltaville is only a day sail to the north. We felt like we were just wasting time until then so I called and asked to have our haul out moved up to Wednesday. We have so much work to do that the extra days will help.

With that decision made, as soon as it quit drizzling I made the mile drive up to the Marina to pay for last night's stay and dumped off a bag of trash. Back at the boat we got things organized and hauled anchor at 11:15.

Today's trip to the East River in Mobjack Bay is about three hours sideways and one up. We are about an hour up the York River but have to continue easy another hour to clear a shoal. Then we head north and around the corner into Mobjack Bay. Mobjack Bay is huge and has four or five large rivers that all offer great anchorages. We chose the East River because it was the closest and is reported to be the most scenic.

Our trip was uneventful. The sky cleared a little as the afternoon progressed and by the time we arrived it was quite nice. We entered the East River and headed up stream to check out some of the anchorages that we had read about. After about 4 miles of exploring the river we turned around and headed back toward the mouth and found a nice quiet anchorage in front of a small farm.

We spent the remainder of the afternoon reading. Kathy found a flank steak in the freezer yesterday so we got it thawed out and marinating. Later I fired up the grill and for once got it cooked to perfection. I tend to over cook them on this grill ... but seem to be learning.

July 5th... Yorktown, VA

It was gray and rainy all day. Boats that had spent the night after the fireworks filtered away during the morning and those on the moorings left as well. By noon we were the only boat on the water, where last night there were hundreds. It continued to rain and be ugly so we decided just to stay where we are and spent the day on projects and reading.


Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere