Sapphire...One day at a time.

22 May 2011 | Deep Creek, VA
22 May 2011 | On the way to the Great Dismal Swamp
22 May 2011 | Leaving Oriental, NC
22 May 2011 | Charleston, SC to Beaufort, NC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | Charleston, SC
08 May 2011 | End of the Bahamas
08 May 2011 | Abacos, Bahamas
16 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
07 April 2011 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
15 March 2011 | Black Point, Great Guana Cay
05 March 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma & Thompson Bay
11 February 2011 | George Town, Great Exuma
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
01 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay
01 February 2011 | Jumento's
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
31 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
29 December 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
16 December 2010 | Pipe Creek to Black Point

15 July 2009 | Deltaville, VA
Mike
July 12... Deltaville, VA

Our goal for the day was to finish the sanding and get a coat of finish on everything. There were a few hurdles in our way however. One was that we had to quit at 4pm to get cleaned up for dinner with friends at 5. Another was that it was above 90 degrees from 10 am on hitting 94 at 1pm. The last was that there were thunderstorms in the forecast.

After coffee I started sanding. Kathy cleaned up last nights dishes and picked up the boat. Trying to put off sanding until the latest moment, she did another load of laundry. By then it was time for breakfast. After cleaning up the breakfast dishes, we got her set up with a sander.

By lunch time we still had about an hour and a half of sanding and taping ahead of us but finished just as things were beginning to cloud up. We checked the radar and storms were well north of us so we applied a coat of finish to the remaining teak and hoped that it would dry to touch before we got wet.

I don't know if I've discussed the process that we're using so I'll give you the run down.
First I scrape the old finish off the teak. Sometimes a heat gun us used with the scraper sometimes it isn't necessary. Next, we hit the scraped area with a course sanding using either the random orbital or the mouse sander, depending on how much space we have. Then we do some fine sanding and finally we tape the area off. I have a plank between two step ladders and can do an area about 10 feet long at a time.

In three days of work we have done 160 feet of rub rail, 90 feet of toe rail, 60 feet of eyebrow and three of the four hand rails. We have used over 500 feet of masking tape and who knows how many sheets of sand paper.

It did rain but the finish had dried enough by then that if was fine.

We got cleaned up and at 5:00 were picked up by Tom and Cathy from "Perseverance II" and drove about 15 miles to a really nice German restaurant. I had a bratworst sampler plate and Kathy had one of the specials which was a pork shank that had cooked all afternoon. We had a very nice meal and got caught up with Tom and Cathy's adventures getting home. We'll see them again when we get back from Michigan.





Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: White Lake, Michigan
Crew: Mike and Kathy Steere