SVs Saraoni and Sundari

09 April 2024 | The Broadwater, Gold Coast, Australia
03 March 2024 | Hope Harbour marina, Gold Coast, Australia
03 January 2024 | Karragarra Channel, South Moreton Bay Islands, Queensland
15 December 2023 | Riverheads, Mary River, Great Sandy Strait, Queensland
23 October 2023 | Great Keppel Island
07 August 2023 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns, North Queensland
23 July 2023 | Trinity Inlet, Cairns, Far North Queensland.
07 July 2023 | Cairns
19 May 2023 | North West island, Capricornia Cays, Queensland
15 May 2023 | Burnett River, Bundaberg, Queensland.
29 April 2023 | Manly marina, Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia
04 March 2023 | South Auckland, New Zealand
18 January 2023 | Gold Coast Broadwater, Queensland
17 November 2022 | Collie, Southern WA, Australia
29 October 2022 | Albany, SW Australia
14 October 2022 | Augusta, WA, Australia
15 August 2022 | Karragarra Passage, Southern Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia
14 July 2022 | Raby Bay, off Moreton Bay, Queensland
13 June 2022 | Camooweal, Far West Queensland
20 May 2022 | Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia

Thailand

16 December 2009 | Ban Thap Lamu
Alison clear skies. Hot with little wind
We finally dropped Sue off at the airport on the 11th and are making our way up the coast of Phuket and now mainland Thailand. Hopefully, in a couple of days we will be making the 320 mile hop over to The Andaman Islands which are part of India, spend about three weeks there and make the longer sail to Ulligam in the Maldives.

We had a good sail up the coast of Phuket but now the wind is almost non-existent. This harbour is a centre of fishing, diving and navy. There is a national park bordering the seaward side with monkeys and water monitors in abundance. A nice swell free place to complete jobs before setting off into the ocean.

Taratau

03 December 2009
Alison, cloudy, 5 knots NE
After finally leaving Malaysia, we encountered 40 knot winds gusting off the mountains of Langkawi and the Thai island of Taratau. Unfortunately the direction was not favourable once we cleared the gap between the two islands so we had to motor up to the northerly bay to a relatively peaceful anchorage off the national park headquarters.

We previewed the weather situation and decided to stay two nights waiting for the weather to moderate and have been lucky enough to find a wireless link from the small national park resort. We took the bikes ashore and rode 12km to the other side of the island , stopping at creeks for a cool off along the way.

Leaving Malaysia

01 December 2009 | Telaga
Alison
Tomorrow we are off to Thailand, leaving Malaysia behind us and the beautiful Pulau Langkawi. We hope to arrive in Ao Chalong next Sunday night in time to clear immigration formalities on Monday morning. The wind seems to be firmly established in the NE so hopefully there will be a bit to blow us to Phuket. It is a little showery at the moment but that brings the temperature down a bit which no one would complain about.

Langkawi

12 November 2009 | Telaga Harbour
Alison / No wind / hot and humid

Final preparations are now nearly complete for the Indian Ocean crossing.
After a circumnavigation of Langkawi, we are back in Telaga and have spent a day climbing up to the top of the cable car hill , Machinchang, and several half days exploring the area up to Telaga Tujuh waterfall, where the water was almost ice cold. Langurs have been active everywhere close to the coast and dolphins have been seen at times in and amongst the growing fleet in Telaga's outer anchorage. Some boats have already departed for Thailand and many more are on the move. We will be leaving the Langkawi area around about the 30th November at first for Phuket, and then as soon as weather permits will be heading to The Andaman Islands via Thailand's Similan or Surin islands. The North East monsoon or "trade winds" have sort of arrived in fits and starts with a lot of rain in thunderstorms still. The picture shows us looking South along the main waterway in the "Hole in the Wall", along Langkawi's East coast.
Up-to-date contact details are on the profile page.

Back from Indochina

05 October 2009 | Rebak Marina
Alison
We have now been back a couple of days from our month long trip to northern Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. We are certainly glad we made the journey as it opened a window for us on another part of the world.

We are now preparing for our massive trip to the Mediterranean. We will be putting the boat on the hardstand at Rebak for a week or so to paint underneath and then we will be departing the marina and staying around Langkawi until Geoff's sister arrives on 23rd November.

The wind is still staying firmly in the west so we will have to still be careful of anchorages around Langkawi. Further info and photos will appear on our main website soon of our recent trip. http://saraoni.googlepages.com.

The monsoon has arrived.

27 August 2009 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
Geoff
Back at the boat in Langkawi for a few weeks, before our last overland trip this year. So far we have made three interesting trips within Malaysia : the first a 1100 km trip by our rusty, trusty bikes up the East Coast, the second to Taman Negara and the Cameron Highlands and the most recent to Sarawak and Sabah. Fuller details on our personal website : google "Saraoni" and you'll find it! Our last trip takes us up to Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia.

The "monsoon", which has supposedly been around since May, seems to have arrived at long last at least in terms of heavy rain, if not wind or sea. We have sorted out some outstanding maintenance issues in between the floods of rain and now only have a few things left to do in October. We should be ready to leave Langkawi with sister Sue visiting from England at the end of November for Phuket initially and then the Andamans.

Pied hornbills have been exceptionally active around Rebak, and have taken a liking to the wattle buds and casuarinas around the marina. We discovered a new / old track on the island which leads to a remote beach on the North West side and meanders on the ridge top past many pitcher plants and strange remnants of Rebak's former life. The resort management has now put arrows marking the track!

Harbour bound for now

04 May 2009 | Langkawi, Malaysia
Geoff
Saraoni is now in Rebak Marina, Langkawi for most of the wet season. We have been back in Malaysia for just over a month while the seasons have changed from sort of North Easterlies to Westerlies. We will be off the boat exploring inland from Vietnam to Sabah in Borneo. As usual we will be concentrating on the bits of wilderness left in South East Asia, although inevitably we see what the human inhabitants are getting up to as well.

Saraoni needs quite a lot of attention before our anticipated departure for the North Indian Ocean in December this year, and we will have to be busy in the short periods back on the boat in between trips.
Vessel Name: Saraoni (1) and Sundari (2)
Vessel Make/Model: South Coast 36 and Beneteau 473 respectively
Hailing Port: Lamb Island, Australia
Crew: Alison and Geoff Williams
About:
Saraoni was the name of our second yacht, a South Coast 36, bought in Airlie Beach, Queensland, in 1998. We renamed it from the original "Tekin JB" in memory of the small island that guarded the lovely bay at the south eastern corner of PNG's Milne Bay. It was our home for over 20 years. [...]
Extra: CONTACT DETAILS Telephone / SMS number +61 456 637 752 (Australian mobile no.) +64 28 432 5941 NZ mobile no.) Email yachtsundari@gmail.com (main email address)
Saraoni (1) and Sundari (2)'s Photos - Main
A collection of photos taken while teaching and cruising in PNG's Milne Bay Province
74 Photos
Created 29 April 2023
10 Photos
Created 27 September 2020
Some rather idiosyncratic metal sculptures in outback Queensland between Aramac and Lake Dunn
8 Photos
Created 27 September 2020
Birds and other critters on our Queensland inland safari
12 Photos
Created 27 September 2020
A collection of photos taken during the Tiki Tour of the Southern half of the South Island, November / December 2019
40 Photos
Created 15 December 2019
9 Photos
Created 2 April 2019
Photos taken of Saraoni. All interior photos were taken in the last week.
10 Photos
Created 2 April 2019
The ABCs - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are mostly low lying dry, scrubby islands in the Western Caribbean near the Venezuelan coastline
15 Photos
Created 21 May 2014
12 Photos
Created 20 March 2014
4 Photos
Created 9 March 2014
Images taken in and around Suriname's capital
40 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
River Images
8 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
Images of the 2 islands in the Cape Verde island group we visited on our way across the Atlantic in 2013 - Sao Vicente and Santo Antaao.
37 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
3 Photos
Created 16 December 2013
1 Photo
Created 16 December 2013
21 Photos
Created 23 August 2013
What we saw in the USA
14 Photos
Created 21 August 2013
9 Photos
Created 19 August 2013
Unexpected meeting with old friends "in the woods".
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2013
A brother found amongst the gorges of the Cevennes
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
Photographic images of our long walk along the Appalachian mountains in the USA
26 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
15 Photos
Created 25 November 2012
9 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
25 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
16 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
2 Photos
Created 4 June 2012
Greece is in the throes of a recession, but they still have the last laugh - never far from the sun, the sea, colour, culture and bags of history. The photos document our Aegean odyssey from May to September 2011
31 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
O.K. We're mad, but we somehow prefer a home on the sea to one on dry land.
12 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur - the three ancient city states of the Kathmandu valley have mediaeval architectural wonders in their Durbars and old town areas - a meshing and merging of Hinduism, Buddhism and materialism
9 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
Some of the shots taken of us while on one of our 30 odd days on the three main mountain trails we walked in the Anapurnas and Helambu region of Nepal's side of the Himalayas
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2011
People make the Himalayas a unique place to walk through. From Hindu rice and buffalo farmers in the foothills to the Buddhist villages in the highlands so influenced by Tibetan ancestry and trade over the passes
16 Photos
Created 15 December 2011
Nepal has ten of the world's highest mountains within its boundaries or shared with India and Tibet - these are truly giant peaks!
22 Photos
Created 15 December 2011
These were all photographed in the wilds of Chitwan and Bardia National Parks - which are two of the last havens of biodiversity in Nepal's low lying Terai district.
18 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
Saraoni hauled out on Finike's hardstand for biennial maintenance and painting
3 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 6 March 2011
4 Photos
Created 6 March 2011
Ruined city
4 Photos
Created 10 January 2011
3 Photos
Created 10 January 2011
12 Photos
Created 10 January 2011
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2010
5 Photos
Created 28 December 2010
6 Photos
Created 11 December 2010
The small rocky island of Kastellorizou is Greece's most remote island
7 Photos
Created 11 December 2010
Cruising and walking Turkey's Lycian coast September and October 2010
19 Photos
Created 11 December 2010
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2010
Images taken while walking sections of the 500 km Lycian Way or Lykia Yolu on the South West Mediterranean Coast of Turkey
11 Photos
Created 9 November 2010

Exploring as Much as We Can Until We Can't

Who: Alison and Geoff Williams
Port: Lamb Island, Australia