Sareda - The Voyage

07 July 2013 | Porto Santo
18 June 2013 | Ayamonte
12 May 2013 | Morocco
10 September 2012 | La Linea
19 August 2012 | Portosin
02 July 2012 | Falmouth
04 April 2010
09 February 2010 | Grenada
05 February 2008
26 November 2007 | Lanzarote
30 October 2007
23 October 2007
06 September 2007
30 August 2007 | Pavoa de Varzim

Lin's time alone in St Lucia

08 July 2008
Lin
Lin.......
I was now on my own. I had several jobs to do on the boat that kept me occupied and I met some very pleasant people. I had troubles changing my gas cylinder - my strength isn't good when connecting the regulator and Paul said we probably needed a new one in any event.

Luckily the gas is in a sealed locker in the cockpit so there is no danger, which is fortunate really as it emptied within two days. This was repeated again and I had almost decided to live on salads and cold drinks until Paul returned but a lovely couple who had been sailing for 16 years, Brian and Jane took pity on me and invited me over for a meal the first night. Brian had been brought up in India and cooked a fantastic dahl that I very much enjoyed.

The next day he came over to Sareda and connected another new cylinder for me that thankfully is still going strong.

On the Thursday after Lucy left my sister-in-law Jenny arrived on a cruise ship for the day. She was booked on a trip in the morning but I therefore caught a bus, very cheap and reliable to meet her in the afternoon. We found a caf� in the marketplace for coffee. I hope she and her friend enjoyed it - I tend to go to venues frequented by the locals as I enjoy experiencing the local culture. I did enjoy meeting them as it broke up my time alone.

Everything seemed to work well for me because during that week I also heard that my friend Sheilagh from Nottingham was arriving on a cruise ship on the Sunday with her son Ceiran. Unlike Jenny she had no trips booked for her time in St Lucia. Her sister Maureen paid for me to hire a car for the day to take them around the island - as part of an early 60th birthday present for Sheilagh.

I picked them up from the cruise ship in Castries. It was lovely to see them and we wend our way down the west side of the island towards Soufriere. When we reached Anse de Raye we saw a sign to a waterfall. As I had not been there before we decided to give it a try. The road soon deteriorated into a track but we persevered - it was not nearly so bad as the track I had encountered with Lucy when we headed for the Turtle Watch!!

After a short while a sign pointed down a pathway and we parked the car and walked the rest of the way. There was a small charge to enter but it was really nice when we arrived. The waterfall was obviously man-made, although it was aesthetically pleasing with the water flowing down stone steps into a fresh water pool that was large enough to swim in.

We quickly changed and took the plunge. It was delightfully cool and refreshing and we enjoyed approximately � hour on our own before two minibuses arrived from the two cruise ships.

Everyone enjoyed it but we were pleased we had arrived earlier and had it to ourselves for a while. There was a small lizard sat on the changing room roof and unlike some did not run away before we could photograph it. We also found a pineapple bush - I had always assumed pineapples grew on trees but actually they grow out of bushes that look like a large version of the green outgrowth that you find on the pineapple - a picture will be in the gallery.

I then took them to the sulphur springs which they enjoyed, unfortunately the botanical gardens were closed.

After having coffee at a little restaurant/bar overlooking the harbour at Soufriere we made our way back to Castries and the cruise ship. The scenery on this coast is awesome with its lush vegetation and mountainous landscape.

On the way back I had trouble with the gearbox on the very steep hills, it was the first time I had negotiated them with a manual gearbox. I was beginning to get panicky as the cruise ship was setting sail at six and Sheilagh and Ceiran had to return by 5.30pm.Eventually, having to change to first gear on many occasions I coped well and Sheilagh and Ceiran managed to board the ship before it sailed. Phew!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Sareda
Vessel Make/Model: Trident Voyager 35
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Lin and Paul
About:
Having retired in April of 2007, Lin and Paul are setting out on a once in a lifetime voyage. Paul, a retired Professional Musician, has sailed for much of his 62 years and is an RYA Yachtmaster. [...]
Extra:
Sareda is a long keeled GRP sailing sloop built in Southampton UK in 1979. We have upgraded her over the last 6 years adding wind vane steering, cutter rig, holding tanks, electric anchor winch, radar and many other smaller items that add to her comfort, sailability and safety. She sails well and [...]
Sareda's Photos - Sareda - The Voyage (Main)
Falmouth to the Med.
8 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
The start of our cruise including some of the islands we visited.
36 Photos
Created 8 March 2010
Our arrival back in Trinidad - preparation of the boat and departure to Grenada.
10 Photos
Created 5 March 2010
Our photos from when we left through France, Spain, Portugal, Madeira and Canaries
157 Photos
Created 5 March 2010
From Antigua to Trinidad
18 Photos
Created 8 July 2008
Cape Verdes and the Caribbean
50 Photos
Created 19 January 2008