Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Galapagos to Marquesas 4

04 May 2015
Today at 1415 hrs is the start of day 12 and we anticipate arrival at Fatuiva on Thursday evening (4 days time), Friday morning NZ time. At the end of day 10 we had covered 1968 miles so trucking along pretty quickly and with 822 miles to go.

We ran with the A1 big red genaker during the day yesterday until the tack line broke early evening and then it was doused with the snuffer and put to bed for the night. The forecast swell arrived at up to 3 metres and with 15 - 18 knots across the top of the swell it was challenging on the helm sometimes but we had some good surfs at up to 15 knots. This kept the guys busy all day!

We are keeping in touch,by email, with a couple of other yachts on the passage but they are well behind and yesterday Matelot was 1,000 astern, but with shortened sail as they stayed in the company of an Australian Hanse 37, and Taya was around 100 miles back.

Pretty quiet on board, Pat has assumed the role of teaching everyone how to play bridge, watching the occasional TV show and keeping up with watch keeping. Maintenance wise the only recent issue that has affected us is the watermaker but we think that is now resolved at least temporarily after many hours with the head in the bilges where it is located.

No more fish have been caught and the freezer stock is now exhausted so the lure is out again today. Weather remains fine and warm with the occasional few spits of rain but nothing of any consequence in terms if wind strength.

Everyone is well on board and looking forward to the landfall.
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand