Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

Galapagos to Marquesas 5

07 May 2015
A short time ago we clicked past the 400 mile to go mark and expect to arrive in Hiva Oa on Thursday evening. This will give us a 15 day passage for the 3.050 trip, not bad going.

Until yesterday we have been rocking along on a broad reach and after the slight challenges with Big Red reverted to the A2 yesterday. However as we start to close in on the Marquesas and with the SE trades moving a little to the left to ESE we needed to veer right and that got us into a situation that called for a poled out headsail. This situation enabled us to run under autopilot all night but today with building seas (big storm off NZ caused big waves that will hit the USA west coast) and up to 25 knots it has been hand steering. Tonight we are still making 8.5 to 9.0 knots under full poled out headsail and a double reefed main. It is going to be a bumpy night at sea and hopefully will be handled by the autopilot.

For the first time since leaving Panama it was to rough to sit down for dinner at the table. Last night we watched the Paul McCartney concert in Res Square, no DVD's tonight!

No more fish but the lure is getting rusty. The usual flying fish that we have to clear off the decks each morning took a slightly unusual turn when Dawnielle found a live flying fish in the heads (toilet) compartment. She gracefully manhandled it back into the ocean to live another day. Yannick was slightly less fortunate in that he found a squid in his cabin that while dead on discovery had in the interim released black ink everywhere.

Cuisine on board continues to excel with Pam and Yannick producing fantastic meals and fresh bread every day. It's a tough life out here but despite this everyone is buzzing with the excitement of arrival in the Marquesas after a long passage.

The USA yacht Taya we passed several days ago is now nearly 400 miles behind and they are doing great with father and son duo on board a 38 ft yacht they were sailing very well. We are looking forward to meeting them when they arrive. Matelot continues in the company of the Hanse 37 and will be around 1,200 makes astern. A big trip for Richard and Pippy on their own and we also look forward to seeing them when they arrive.

Cheers
Pam & Keith
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand