CLUB CRUISE 2016

Day 15

20 July 2013 | Red Brook to Cuttyhunk
Cathy
We woke early and began to prepare for our journey to Cuttyhunk. We stowed the kayak and other things left out from two lay days in Red Brook Harbor. We dropped the mooring around 9:00 and headed into the docks to fill the water tanks and pump out. Nixie was on the dock having some work done on their sailboat.

Troy took his usual travel position, under his beach towel under my seat on the fly bridge. He never moved from there the entire trip. It was a fairly calm trip and we arrived in just 3 hours. We had decided to stay at a slip instead of picking up a mooring. It was so hot; I wanted to be in an air-conditioned boat for a while. We are also hosting the final cocktail party and our guests would be more comfortable on the docks in a cool boat.

Well, docking the boat at Cuttyhunk was quite the new experience. It is not a floating dock that rises and lowers with the tides, but a fixed dock that you have to tie up to six poles. We had no issue backing in between the poles, but tying up was a challenge. I think I was a cowgirl in another life because I was able to stand on the railing and throw lines over the poles and hit each one on the first throw. It took awhile to get situated so we could drop the dinghy, which was hoisted up at the back of the boat. The back of the boat was the only way to get on and off the boat. Once we got the dinghy off and tied to the side of the boat we were able to adjust the lines so we were evenly between all six poles and could climb the latter at the back of the boat and get onto the docks. Good thing no one was watching, because the whole ordeal was quite amusing. We then watched other people come after us and attempt the same thing, did they did it with no better finesse than us.

I cleaned up and walked up to the small grocery store on the island to pick up a few things for the party. The island only has 20 permanent residences year round and 150 during the summer months. I got what I needed and headed back to Wildflower. We also ordered cooked lobsters from one of the lobsterman on the docks. They will be ready for us at 6:00.

After showering, I found my lost pedometer in my bathrobe pocket. I was glad it showed up, now I can give George back his.

Peter and Wanda from Cetacean, Linda and Jeff from Ruffian and Daria and Dan from Nixie all came over and we had a nice time talking about the trip and how great it was. We talked about what to do next year and that maybe two weeks will not be enough time.

We devoured our delicious lobsters and went for a walk around the island (need to get in those steps). The sunset was beautiful and the ice cream cone was a nice ending to a good day. Troy was enjoying the air-conditioning and had no desire to go out on the deck. He just climbed up on the Nav station and spent the rest of the night there.

George and Troy went to bed early so I watched a few more episodes of Downton Abbey. It was a comfortable night. I logged 12,000 steps today.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island