CLUB CRUISE 2016

Lay Day at Fishers Island

14 July 2014 | Fishers Island, NY
Cathy
Day 15 is a lay day at Fishers Island. We rose early to get the bikes ready for a 7:00 am ride with Linda and Jeff. We let Troy walk around while we got ready and again he kept jumping off the boat onto the dock and I have to chase him back on. This is our last stop on a dock he won't be able to do this anymore. Our fleet has most of this end of the dock so there are a lot of people keeping an eye on him.

The ride around the island was beautiful. The weather has been great. The island is not all that big and a lot of it is gated so we cannot ride our bikes past the biggest homes. We went to the ferry dock and watched the car ferry come in and then ended up at the airport. After riding some more we ended up in town and had breakfast sandwiches at an outside café. They were setting up for arts and craft fair on the towns common.

After returning to the boat, George spent the time washing the outside of the boat while I cleaned the inside. It is amazing how dirty the boat can get living on it for a period of time, especially Troy. His fur gets everywhere. I have a plaque hanging on the boat that says, "What is a Little Cat Hair Among Friends". Troy crawled under his blanket on the bead and I headed for a walk into town with Jack, Denise, Bill and Linda. I bought a book that was signed by the author at the fair. It is about 4 women who go beach combing and each find something that changes their lives. It sounded interesting and the author was very nice and signed it for me. We also shopped in the only few stores on the island and stopped at the grocery store on the way back to the boat (running low on beer).

After lunch George took me on a harbor tour on the dingy and then it was naptime. The Yacht Club party is not until 7:00 so I badly needed a nap, which Troy gladly joined me. My naps last an hour or so, his lasts several hours.

Ben and Jenn from the Chesapeake came to say goodbye as they are leaving for home tomorrow. Only 5 boats are continuing onto Block Island. Troy was out on the bow entertaining the new people who pulled in next to us on the dock. I chatted with them for a while, they were from West Springfield, MA and had gotten married on the dock here at Fishers Island 11 years ago.

The fisher Island Yacht Club event was under the tent in front of the yacht club. The club itself is very small. They expected about 150 people. When we arrived we signed in at the desk set up on the porch. The 10 of us were the first to arrive. When signed in we found that she put two from our group at each table so we would mingle with their members. It was open bar, so we headed directly there. They first served clam chowder, which was delicious, followed by lobsters, steamers, ribs, salad and corn bread and ended with yummy deserts. The people we sat with were very nice and had owned a home on the island since the 1950's. Everyone we met was very interested in our yacht club and our trip.

Tomorrow we leave early for Block Island so it was early to bed; I only watched one episode of Call the Midwife.
Comments
Vessel Name: WILDFLOWER
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island